The END

"She-She said you were not her husband. Mitali said you were in love. I don't get it," Pushpa said, gazing into the eyes adorned with dark circles, which grew wider upon hearing her words.

The timid voice inside his head and chuckled and reminded him she was just as motivated as he was to protect his best interests.

"It's emotions, not tags that define relationships, Mitali. Our emotions are powerful enough to sustain any relationship."

"Believe me when I say this, if things were different, and we weren't caught in this maze of insecurities, I would have loved to be yours."

Insecurities. The obstacles that prevented their union. The restraints kept them from the joy that was within reach but out of their grasp. They did not matter anymore. They no longer held them back.

They overcame their despicable monsters by shifting their focus from vulnerabilities to the desperate need to stay together.

"We did not marry with the rituals. It was a court marriage. She believed you wouldn't view it as a marriage. That's it."

He observed Pushpa's expression shift from surprise to joy before regret appeared on her tired face. She joined her palms together with tears in her eyes.

"I am sorry for my behavior earlier, Damaad ji! You wanted the best for my daughter because you love her. I regret I couldn't see that!"

Adhrit held out her palms and moved them apart. "Auntie, you never have to apologize for wanting the best for your daughter! Your reaction was what we can expect from any mother!"

Pushpa gave him an affectionate yet remorseful smile as she caressed his cheeks before cracking her knuckles on the sides of her head. "Let no bad luck befall you, son! Mitali is waiting to meet you!"

Adhrit nodded and stooped down to receive the blessings of the elderly lady. "Have a happy life, son!" she said, caressing his hair. With a smile, he got up and headed towards Mitali's room.

The man's love was evident to Pushpa by his jump in his step, wide lopsided grin, and relaxed body language. He opened the door to Mitali's room after exhaling sharply and rotating the doorknob.

After watching Adhrit Sinha claim her as his wife for the whole world to see, Mitali had forgotten how to breathe. It was her own clause. Proposing the same was a long-forgotten memory, buried in the deepest corners of her mind.

"I'm requesting that you draft a contract that declares me as the daughter-in-law of this house during my time here as a surrogate mother."

The world she knew had been taken by love, but the man who spoke to the frenzied media had returned it to her - all in the name of love.

"Am I not beautiful enough, Mr. Sinha? I know you would have seen much more beautiful models than me, but- "

The happiness she had lost, the essence of life she had forgotten, the self-respect she had craved, and the tag that she had desired - he had returned it all to her. The sensational news could distract the millions from his hesitant stance and twitching lips. However, she did not fail to notice them.

He had no more faith in that institution than he did months ago when he confessed his love to her, and she was aware of it. A wry smile crossed her lips as she recognized the irony of the situation.

A woman who had spurned away the advances of love had opened her arms to the same love to salvage his reputation in front of her world. To safeguard her reputation, the man who hated marriage accepted the tag for everyone to see.

"Love is something I no longer believe in, and you have no faith in marriage. A relationship that lacked definition from both of them. Do you think we can sustain it?"

He had asked why having faith in one another wasn't sufficient, but he proved that it was enough to endure any challenges they might face together.

"How are you feeling now?" he asked, making way to her side, jolting her back to reality.

"Better than ever. I watched the press conference," she said, placing her hand over his.

"About that- "

"Thanking you is not enough to express how grateful I am for meeting you and being privileged to have your love. I still don't believe love can be someone's savior. I may never believe it." She looked into his loving eyes and said, "If I need to give an example of true love, it will be yours."

"Despite this, you told your mother that we are in love. For me. Meeting you brought out the best in me, and I'm grateful for that. If someone's belief changes, it wasn't a true belief, and changing someone is not an act of love. Mitali, you believe in me. I believe in you. That's all that matters!" he said, caressing her cheeks.

Placing her hands above his, Mitali grinned and brought them closer to her lips to give butterfly kisses.

"You are forgetting something. There is something else that matters."

Her statement puzzled Adhrit, but the mischievous glint in her eyes indicated a lighter tone. "Well, what is it? Don't tell me you want me to drink those weird combinations throughout our lives!" he said, smirking at her.

Mitali rolled her eyes and huffed in indignation. "I was talking about our princess' name. I want a beautiful name for my doll! And it definitely matters!"

Laughter escaped his lips, and he nodded in understanding. "Right! How about 'Shri'? The name of your novel's female protagonist is that, isn't it? I'm positive that you picked a name you adore!"

Mitali praised his sharp observation and meticulousness, but refrained from saying it to prevent his arrogance. "What about you? Do you like the name?" she asked.

"Of course! It is a name of Devi Lakshmi, the Goddess of Fortune. I don't believe in divinity, but I consider my daughter as the goddess of fortune in my life. Take how she tied us together even before her birth as an example! It's a fitting name for her!"

Mitali's smile grew bigger, but her heart racing reminded her of something. "Adhrit Sinha, will you stay by my side forever and make me yours? I'll limit the strange juice mixtures to once a week, I promise! Will you remain as my anchor and harbinger of hope?" she asked, forwarding her open palm to him.

She had erased the worry that plagued him as her due date inched closer - the fear of losing her company. Losing the privilege of basking in the warmth of her slight smile. Missing out on the chance to swelter under her piercing gaze. Sharing a laugh over the combinations she preferred and discussing her story.

He would miss it all, and more. The way her smile warmed the recesses of his heart, which had frozen into icy nonchalance over the years. How her pomegranate shower gel tantalized his senses and made his heart race like a teenager brushing past his crush in a corridor full of people. Or how the stray tendrils of her hair urged him to tuck them behind her warm ears.

Amateur, yet bold.

Impassioned, yet serene.

Their bond was a paradox, and he had spent countless moments with anticipation clasping around his heart at the prospect of distances separating them, but her proposition had paved the way for bliss to defeat the fears of his heart. Tears of ecstasy filled his eyes as a chuckle escaped his lips. She had sealed the deal and fulfilled his heartfelt desire.

"It will be an honor, Mitali Pathak. For now and forever! I shall be yours and you shall be mine!"

____________________________________________

And it's a wrap! Adhrit and Mitali have their happy ending, along with their baby girl. Hope you enjoyed reading the story. My favorite scene is where their talk after Adhrit's confession, and Adhrit is one of my favorites among the protagonists I have written thus far.