Part 14

Despite his seething frustration and fury towards his family, Adhrit escorted Mitali to her room. Adhrit's integrity had left Mitali mesmerized by his actions. Her guilt for causing the feud between him and his family was only intensified by his gentle grip on her hand, as soft as a feather's kiss.

The man guiding her caught her attention, causing her hazel eyes to sparkle and her heart to flutter. Adhrit Sinha was a mystery she was eager to unravel. What she had discovered so far had left her with a deep curiosity and a thirst for more.

Passing through the regal teak doors, they entered a room as vast as her home's living room. The pristine white walls and minimalist interiors had caught her eye. She experienced a moment of disappointment when he withdrew his hand and put them in his pockets.

"Ms. Pathak, this is the room you'll be staying in during your visit. I hope it's to your liking." He instructed to notify him or the staff for any required changes.

She was confident that the room had more to offer than just the central air-conditioner's icy breeze and the 40-inch LED TV on the wall across the bed.

"Wow, Mr. Sinha, this is amazing. "Thank you," she uttered. The professionalism overpowered her mind and erased any admiration for him.

Adhrit responded with a brief nod. "Please have a seat."

Mitali settled on the plush brown recliner-chair and flashed a grateful smile before discarding her footwear. "What can I get for you? Can I get you something to drink or would you like to have breakfast? Feel free to inform the staff if you have any cravings."

Upon learning of the success of the artificial insemination process, he educated himself on the physiological changes in a pregnant woman intending to make her journey easier.

"Could I trouble you for some lemonade, if that's alright? I heard it helps to tide over the morning sickness," she said in a hesitant tone.

Her relatives' and neighbors' taunts and jibes silenced her and prevented her from speaking. Her well-being connected to another tiny life prevented her from taking risks. Among other things, she was willing to sacrifice her inhibitions to ensure her child's safe birth.

As he turned around to leave, he informed her he would ask them to get them right now. A sudden thought hit her, causing her to stop him midway. "Mr. Sinha."

"Yes, Ms. Pathak?" he said, turning around to face her. He didn't anticipate her calling him or starting a conversation. Her demeanor towards him was always distant and mysterious.

"How can I keep myself busy for the entire day? I'm not used to being inactive like this. I don't mean to offend you, but I believe it's best if I don't communicate with your family."

Adhrit had a smirk on his face in response to her remarks.

"You are right. Since you mentioned that you're not accustomed to being idle, maybe you never had the chance to explore your less productive hobbies and interests. Now is the time to pursue them," he said.

He wondered if she would share her interests and hobbies with him. He was hopeful of knowing more about the pragmatic and selfless woman in front of him. Given the cold indifference they had displayed in the past, he knew better than to get his hopes up.

She contemplated his words for a few moments, and then the realization hit her. She had a clear idea of what she wanted to do, but could not do it.

"Can you give me a laptop, if that's okay with you? The rental fee for the laptop and Wi-Fi is a given. You can deduct it from the contract money," she said with a faint smile on her lips. She felt bliss coursing through her veins at the chance that had presented itself to pursue what she had always desired.

Adhrit reacted with surprise, raising an eyebrow and chuckling. "Ms. Pathak, you are quite something. Let's postpone the discussion about finances. In a few hours, you'll get a laptop with unlimited Wi-Fi."

"Thank you so much!"

He was acutely aware of his racing heart when he saw her eyes light up with the idea. The hormones had brought upon a glow that accentuated her decadent smile and struck a chord with the strings of his heart, the first genuine one since they met.

"If you don't mind, would you mind sharing what you have on your mind?" he asked, curiosity getting the better of him. She had an elusive aura about her past and personality. He could attempt to alleviate some of the mystery, to quell his curiosity.

"I had a desire to pursue writing," she said with a sardonic smile. "My job at the call centre, with multiple shifts, left me unable to write stories. Perhaps this situation is a hidden blessing."

The beautiful curve on her face had made a lasting impression on his mind. He was even more impressed to discover that her radiant smile was fueled by an unquenchable passion, which persisted despite the hardships.

"I hope you achieve brilliant success as a writer, Ms. Pathak. I will take your leave now. We'll send your laptop and lemonade soon. Saying "Have a good day, " he turned to leave after she reciprocated his greeting with a curt nod.

A faint smile danced on his lips despite his efforts to suppress it. The thought of her writings piqued his interest, and he considered the vast array of genres she may have explored. He instructed his housekeeping staff to ensure Mitali's needs were met and her health was taken care of.

The moment Adhrit Sinha left her side, Mitali felt a powerful wave of loneliness.

_________________________________

Two Weeks Later,

Mitali stayed awake to take notes for her book. While thinking of back-stories for every character of hers, she suddenly experienced cramps of greater intensity and wetness than she was used to during the week. With each passing moment, the pain grew more intense, and she noticed stickiness and wetness.

When she pulled the blanket away, her heart sank into a bottomless abyss at the sight she beheld. Her blood had stained her pale yellow dress red, and she appeared to be sitting in a pool of it.

The only name that came to mind during a moment of fear and agony was the one she called out.

"ADHRIT!! ADHRIT!!"

Without realizing it, Adhrit Sinha was on his feet and ran at top speed. Mitali Pathak's use of his given name instead of his surname signified a grave situation.

"Ms. Pathak? What hap- "

The sight of the red blot on the bed and Mitali's dress left him speechless. The woman was on the verge of losing consciousness, with tears pouring down her face.

There was little doubt in his mind about what the sight in front of him meant.

Mitali had miscarried.

________________________________________