Chapter 8

Serilda

"Serilda," the slight brush of hand over my head woke me up.

"Erik," I whispered as I saw him overnight over my face. "Sorry I dozed off." I sat up straighter looking at my surrounding. The drip the doctor had given me was gone. I remember the nurse taking it out.

"It's alright," he sat down on the chair beside me. "You feeling alright?"

"I'm much better. How is Aaron? Can I meet him now?" I asked and felt a surge in my heartbeat. I was here for Aaron and I had slept in such a time. There was no denying the fact that I felt a bit ashamed because of it. My eyes turned to Erik's facial expression. He was smiling and I felt a little lighter. It was like a reassurance that everything was fine.

"Aaron is good but you can't meet him right now," he spoke softly. I stared at him trying not to panic over his words. Taking a deep breath I asked him why.

"Because the doctors are prepping him to be moved to a hospital in San Francisco," he explained.

"First of all congratulations are in order," he smiled taking my hand in his. My eyes stared at our adjoining hands and then at his face. He just gave me a smile that didn't reach his eyes this time.

Turning his eyes downcast towards our adjoining hands he just sat there for a while.

"Erik," I called out his name drawing him out of his thoughts. I had a good guess where his views might have been taking him. I wanted to believe that this could have been us in an alternative universe, but I don't think it was possible. We wouldn't have ever got together if it wasn't for her and he would have never let go of her. She might have ruined us but our paths might have never crossed if it wasn't for her. Our paths were always meant to be like this.

"Sorry," a gentle sad smile graced his lips.

"We are moving Aaron to a hospital in San Francisco. He is still not conscious but he could be transferred, don't worry doctor says that he is absolutely fine. I have made all the necessary arrangements there too," he explained but I still couldn't understand why.

"But why? What's wrong here?" I saw a flicker of fear in his eyes but disappeared as soon as it was there. His eyes didn't look into mine.

"I don't want both of you to be here. Especially you, Serilda," why was he saying something like this?

"Just hear me out first," he squeezed my hand. "This city has done nothing for you. All it has given you are bad memories and pain. Having you stay here will bring back those memories for both of you and even me," there was a raw pain in his voice.

"You are expecting and I don't want anything to happen to you and your child. We all have moved forward in our own lives but those memories still haunt me and I don't want them to affect you the same way it does to me. Our past still breathes in every nook and corner of this city. I don't want to see you get hurt. You fainting because of seeing Chyna is an example of that," I closed my eyes understanding his reasons.

"For the sake of my brother and your happiness I would do anything. This place is no longer meant for any one of you. So it's better we would leave to where your home is and that is with Aaron in that city where the past doesn't linger in the corners to hurt you," he spoke gently. For the first time, I felt how caring and gentle Erik could be. Maybe he always was but I was always on the wrong side of receiving it.

"When will we leave?" I asked breathing a sigh of relief. "And can I see him before we leave?"

"Actually he is being prepped up for being transported as we speak. I promise you will see him once we get in the ambulance. We will be using a special plane to get to San Francisco. A nurse and doctor have been arranged for us to travel with us and I've already talked to a doctor in a hospital back in there. We will be going straight to the hospital after landing there," he gave me a full itinerary about everything.