XXIII | 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖎𝖊𝖛𝖊

Royal Court Of France

"How did the bargaining go?" I questioned as I walked into Catherine's chambers, where she sat at her desk with a look of distress swiped across her face "They are taking Francis" Catherine spoke, making me take a quick intake of breath "For ransom?" I expected the Italians to want something large in return for everything that has happened in the past. I expected them to leave France with every last item that could be of any worth, but Francis? I never would have expected them to want him. This is more of revenge of the French than anything "He gave himself up" Oh? "To save you and the rest of us" "He would" I let out a shaky breath "Yes, his integrity can be rather annoying. But we can not let it happen" Catherine spoke, her face showing a look of disbelief "I agree" I spoke up "That is why I have come here. We must get him, and all of our people out of this place" "Yes" Catherine hummed, standing up, waiting for me to explain myself "The secret passageways underneath the castle" "Josette, I want to do everything I possibly can to save Francis, just as I know you do, but the passageways are a maze" She walked over to me, holding my hands in comfort "They're full of pitfalls, unstable ground. They are a death trap to anyone who doesn't know a safe way through, and no one does" "But, Catherine, I do" I assured her, nodding my head "I used to play down there when I was a child. I know that there is a passage that runs from a hidden door in the main hall, through the tunnels, and comes out by the stables. I've marked it with chalk" This may not be fully the truth, but what am I supposed to say? Oh, Catherine, just so you know, there is this girl living in the passageways of your castle, but don't worry. She only knows about anything everything going on around here. I think not "Josette, we can't all just troop done into the main hall and out of the secret door. It won't be much of a secret with a dozen Italians patrolling the halls" "Catherine, this is our only chance. Why is it that you say you don't want your son to be taken away, but when I give you a decent plan to help him stay safe, you are so insistent that it won't work?" I questioned the Queen, becoming slightly aggravated. When she refrained herself from answering, I began to turn around, stalking off towards the exit "Fine. Stay here and die if you wish" "Josette" She called, causing me to turn back to her "I could improve on your plan. This is if you allow" I squinted my eyes at the woman standing before me "Go on" "We need a distraction. Something to remove these animals from our halls and collect them in one place. The Count's feast should do nicely" Catherine continued, beginning to pace the room "The Count expects us to attend the feast" I interrupted "How can we do that and escape at the same time?" "That's just the point" Catherine stopped and turned to me "If we are all there, he'll suspect nothing. Francis is under guard in his room, so they won't expect him at the feast. We need to buy him time. A head start to get free and get out people out, all of them. The women, the children, and even the servants. You know he won't leave without them" She is quite true. Oh, how I love him "We will keep the Count and his men busy, and when our people are safely out, we will follow suit" "How?" I questioned the woman "Once we are seated at the feast, there is not way out of that room" "We will find an excuse to get you and the girls away" Catherine answered my confusion "Don't you think the Count will find it suspicious if all of his guests are leaving?" I questioned "That's why I will stay behind" Catherine spoke "The Queen of France in their power. Why would they expect a trap?" "Catherine, are you sure?" I shook my head as she took my hands into hers "Josette, you know that I would do absolutely anything if it meant my son being safe. And if that means that I have to stay behind with the Italians, I will not hesitate to do so" A genuine smile wiped onto her lips as she leant in to give me a soft kiss on my cheek "I will see you at dinner, child. Go see your love before it begins" I let go of the woman, giving her a tender smile before leaving and making my way to Francis. I entered Francis' room, or what is was being used as now, his holding cell, and I immediately ran over to the blonde Prince "Francis" I huffed into his shoulder "Josette, it's ok" He hummed, kissing my head "No, it's not" I gripped his vest, leaning back to look at him. One of my hands reached up, caressing his stubbly cheek "Look, I need you to listen to me. Your mother and I have come up with a plan" I looked around the room, making sure that none of the Count's men were around before whispering the whole plan that Catherine and I discussed to him "Josie, that is madness" Francis spoke up quickly "I have seen the way that Count looks at you. And you're asking me to leave you with him? No. If I get out of this room the first thing I'll do is come for you" My love looked down to me, his hand reaching up to my cheek. I managed to let a single tear slip from my eye that was swiped away by Francis' fingertips "Please don't cry, darling" He whispered "If you come for me, they will kill you, Francis" "I will not leave you. This is not negotiable" He grabbed my wrists, bending down to my level "Josette, I love you too much to just leave without you" "I know" I whispered as he turned away from me, running a hand through his hair in distress "But if we are to rule as King and Queen, we must trust each other to do what is necessary" I looked down at our interlocked hands, biting my bottom lip "I believe that you can lead them to safely. Believe that I can get myself out of that room" "My god, Josie" Francis stalked over to me, pulling me into him. His lips locked with mine tenderly. For a second I was able to forget that if we aren't lucky, this may actually be the last timer would see each other. Speak to each other. Kiss each other. We both pulled back, our foreheads still resting on the others as Francis' hands still rested on my cheeks "Promise me you won't come back" Before he could say anything, the door opened revealing a burly guard awaiting my exit. I let out a shaky breath before leaving Francis' grasp. Knowing that if I looked into his pleading eyes once more I would run right back to him, I neglected the desire I had burning in me to turn back to him and meet his gaze. Stalking out of the room, I walked back to Catherine's room where her and Glenda, a woman whom she claims to be her most trustworthy maid were waiting. Earlier, she had mentioned that we would need someone to wait by the inside of the door to open it for Francis and my ladies and I to enter "You will wait until you hear two sharp taps" I showed Glenda once we arrived at the secret door where she would be waiting inside "You will open up first for Francis , and later for me" "Yes, Your Highness" The woman curtsied towards me "Remember that if you fail in your duties in any way, I promise you will meet with my extreme displeasure" Catherine spoke to the maid and she nodded quickly, showing she would make sure to fulfill her duties "Of course, Your Majesty" Catherine handed her a candlestick to keep some light for her in the dark tunnels. She then walked into the passageway, and I walked up closer "You must close the door completely or the guards will find you" I spoke up again "Go on" Catherine pushed as the maid shit the door completely. Catherine and I nodded to each other before making our way back to our chambers to complete getting ready for the feast. All I could continue to hope for is that everything works out according to plan.