four - code red

"I'm really glad we're not stopping anywhere except to eat and use the bathroom," Gee said right as Frank left the bathroom with his hair still wet and dripping down his neck. "I've been feeling bad about having to pull a code on you both days we've been out so far."

"But it's not your fault, and you know I don't really mind."

"You're just too nice to tell me otherwise," Gee said with a smirk.

"That's simply not true," Frank said and grabbed a towel to rub through his hair.

"I can't keep looking at you while you're shirtless so I'm gonna take my shower now," Gee teased, and they both laughed.

"What, am I too ugly?"

"No, I'm just jealous that you have abs."

"It's called going to the gym, you should try it sometime."

"Oh, fuck off, I look amazing."

Frank didn't confirm it or deny it because he knew he'd slip up and go too far if he did, so he just laughed with her.

Breakfast that day was more manageable because they went to a bagel shop and sat inside. The coffee was amazing, and the bagels were splendid. The cream cheese that they used was from a local creamery, and to their surprise, the creamery in question had an ice cream parlour right next to the bagel shop. Frank bought them a cup, and they sat outside the store on a bench to share it. Gee's thigh was touching Frank's but he brushed it off even when she scooted closer to him.

Gee volunteered to drive first, so off they were, leaving Chicago on the same beltway they came from.

"Ready for an eight hour day?"

"It's only six and a half hours without rest, so you're switching in after half that," Gee reminded him, and he put his hands up in defeat.

"I know, I know." Frank chuckled. "I'll switch out with you exactly as we hit three hours and fifteen minutes."

Gee rolled her eyes and the two shared a smile and a few seconds of eye contact before Gee turned her eyes to the road again and changed lanes to take a ramp back up to I-90.

"You look good today, by the way," she said, trying to pass it off casually. "I hardly ever see you in something that's not gym shorts or black skinny jeans."

"I... I'm not wearing anything special today either, though," Frank responded shyly, cheeks burning.

"Yeah, but I like the black sweatpants and white sneakers combo. Plus, the fact that you matched the colour of your shirt to your socks is so cool. And the American Gothic shirt is cool."

Frank was taken aback, and he opened his mouth to respond, but just found himself smiling instead. "I... Thank you. I didn't mean to match at all, plus I wasn't supposed to look good today, this is literally my go-to road trip outfit. I was wearing jeans for these past couple of days because I knew we were going places."

"Well, you look very cute," Gee said, winking at him. "I bet the guy from the coffee shop would be salivating at the sight of you. Too bad you didn't get his number so you could meet up and smash."

"Gee!" Frank groaned. "Please, I'm begging you, stop saying smash. Besides, I wasn't into him at all."

"Okay, but he was so into you, I promise."

Frank shook his head, and laughed, happy that the topic of the guy from the coffee shop had made his blush go away. "You look good today too," he started. "I love the athleisure vibe."

"Oh my god! You know the word athleisure!" Gee beamed and changed lanes, her hair whipping at her neck as she checked her blind spot. He really liked her hair at this length.