Chapter One

THE INTERVIEW

"Nong Wine... Nong Wine?" Dr. Rueng calls my name, dragging my attention back to her.

"Yes. I'm sorry." I exhale.

I can't remember when I stopped paying attention to our session. My thoughts drifted away as I watched the heavy rain shower against the widespread tall window. The dancing trees and floating dark clouds created a captivating view that could easily be used as reference for depressing art.

I love it when it rains. I love the smell, the soothing sounds, the coziness. The storm brings me comfort and peace. Maybe because it looks a little bit like chaos, so I don't have to worry about the one inside me.

"That's okay." Dr. Rueng adjusts her glasses. "Where were you just now?"

"Thinking of my sister."

"I didn't know you have a sister."

"Had. She died when I was five... I think."

"How old was she?"

"I'm not quite sure, maybe a year."

"What was she like?"

"I don't know... a baby... she cried a lot. I remember her cries quite well."

"When you think of her, what do you think of?"

I return my gaze to the window, taking a deep breath and exhaling quietly. When we aren't speaking, the sound of the rain fills up the office, and I can think more clearly. Something small to distract me from my ever-turbulent mind.

"If she'd like me if she got to know me."

"Do you think she would?"

I blink, taking a quick glance at my fingers before lifting my gaze back to her. "No."

She smiles at me, a poor attempt to hide her concern, then begins scribbling on her writing pad.

Dr. Rueng has a way about her. Very calm, collected, elegant. She mostly dresses in neutral tones that match her deep brown skin. It was one of the first things I noticed about her when our video call sessions started while I was still in the United States.

Everything else in her office is color coded as well. The dark green carpets match the dark green curtains. All the furniture are different hues of brown except the sofas, they are dark green too. She color codes her books and pens, as well as the ice-skating figurines laid out on top of her bookshelf. I like that she's that way. Highly organized and structured. In some way, it makes me feel like I can trust her process.

***

The rain has not let up since I left Dr. Rueng's office. I get down from the taxi and hurry into the bar where Plerng and Lucifer are waiting. As I step in, I move my damp hair away from my face. I have been growing it out for a while now, it's the longest my hair has ever been, with the tip now resting on my shoulders. Though it compliments my high cheekbones and soft eyes, it has become increasingly difficult to manage. My eyes dart around the bustling bar in search of my friends.

"Wine!"

I turn sharply to my left to see Lucifer's giant self cheerfully waving me over. Beside him, a grinning Plerng. My smile broadens as I squeeze myself through the crowded bar. Lucifer's charming dimples match his incredible sunshine personality. It seems he got a new hairstyle too: fluffy, curly bangs. I like it on him. Plerng looks pretty much the same; expensive and uninterested in anything.