Chapter Three

AWAKE

Mae comes at me again with a knife, and I force my eyes open, panting as tears run down my cheeks. I can barely see; it still feels like I'm dreaming. I realize Po is hugging my trembling body and I squeeze tighter, my heart pounding in my ears. It's been so long since I've been hugged by him. He never lets me hold him, not since I was a child.

I shut my eyes and open them. It begins to dawn on me: this isn't my bedroom, the decorations are all different, I am still in the Cheng mansion. Wait. If I am still in the mansion—then—in whose embrace, am I in? I run my hands across the warm body. It's firm but soft; slender, warm, they smell—that scent! I jolt backwards pushing her away. 

"Khun Sutthaya, it's okay," Khun Cheng says, reaching over and wiping the tears from my cheeks with her fingers. I throw my face away. 

"What happened?" I ask in a tone that's almost a whisper. 

"You passed out—more accurately—you fell asleep. That's what the doctor said. Would you like some water?" 

She lifts a glass jug and cup from the bedside table and begins to pour. 

"You didn't have to hold me like that, Khun." 

"You kept crying in your sleep. I just wanted to help."  

I keep my face hidden from her, dis-oriented and embarrassed. She hands me the cup and I bow slightly to thank her before receiving it, taking a big gulp. 

"I better head home." I place the cup back on the table, then raise the comforter to get out of bed. She places her right palm on my knee, my gaze falls to it, the warmth coming from her palm stills me. 

"Call me Elina. And I don't think you can leave." 

"Why not?" I lift my face to hers, getting a clear picture of her make-up free face for the first time. 

Dear Buddha. She takes my breath away. Her eyes are softer without the eyeliner from the first time we met. There are a few beauty spots on her face; some freckles scattered along the upper part of her cheeks. Her lips, free of the bold red lipstick, now a soft pink tone that appears supple and soft as they curve up into a subtle smile. I catch myself staring and look away. She points at the bedside clock and I turn to it. A little gasp escapes me at the sight of the time. It's a few minutes past 1am? What? It was just 4pm. I have been sleeping for nine hours?

"Would you like something to eat?" she says, removing her hand from my knee.

"Khun I—" 

"Elina." 

"Khun. I'm sorry about this, it will not happen again." 

"Do not apologize, there is no need for it." She rises from the bed, revealing her full-length flower-patterned silk nightgown. It wraps around her full rich body perfectly, all her curve's protruding. "I was making some tomato soup. You will have some." Her arms drop to her sides and the long sleeves of the night gown's jacket do a little dance. 

"No, thank you." My stomach growls and I fold my lips. She smiles at me again. 

"I'll be in the kitchen then." She walks to the door and pauses. "I hope you don't mind; I changed your shirt; you were sweating a lot." 

I don't move, my gaze remains fixed on her as she leaves. Once the door shuts, I hurry out of bed and race into the bathroom where a giant mirror hangs on the wall. I take one look at myself and cringe. I am a complete mess: dark circles under my eyes, my hair all roughed up.

I wash my face, brush my teeth and try to fix my impossible hair. I slowdown in my poor attempt at a make-over and take notice of her shirt hanging loosely on my body. Not surprising, she seems to love oversized work shirts. The sweet jasmine scent from her shirt hits me, the same one from the office. I slowly dig my nose into my elbow, inhaling her scent. Something about her scent makes my body warm. It overwhelms my senses and causes a fog in my mind. I bite my lower lip and close my eyes, letting as much of it run up my nostrils.