7: Erika's Advice

I raced to the top of the slope and once at the top, I stopped to catch my breath. Just as I predicted. Pointless. The person was gone. My nostrils were still flared, my right eye was twitching, and I felt my cheeks burning with rage.

Suddenly, I felt a light touch against my shoulder, and I turned around to find Erika standing there. My sister smiled kindly at me.

"What's up with you, Ly?" she asked, a little concerned.

I took a long deep breath, "Someone tried to hurt Lily. I don't know why, but I got extremely angry. I saw someone hurrying toward the castle, so I bolted. But now I've lost them." I explained in a haste.

Erika smiled fondly but didn't say anything. She took me by the forearm and walked me down the hall. We walked down the stairs to the kitchen level. She tickled the pear and opened the door. Sitting me down at one of the tables, she shooed at some house elves trying to get a request from her.

Instead, Erika went and found chocolate, milk, and other ingredients and started making what she wanted herself. I watched as she poured cocoa into two mugs and carried them over to me. She set one down in front of me, I took one sip and was genuinely surprised.

"It tastes like Nana's recipe." I commented.

Erika giggled as she took a sip, "Nana said she'd be more than happy to teach us. You and Lorcan just didn't go through with that idea."

I looked up at her, "This is actually her recipe?"

"Does E=MC^2(squared)?" I gave her a look of confusion, so she shook her head in disbelief, "The answer's yes, idiot."

I sipped the at the cocoa, "I know Alice thinks there's more to us, but Lily and I have been best friends since forever."

Erika let out a laugh, which made me look her up and down in confusion. Erika shook her head to say nevermind. I sipped from my cup, and we were silent for a good fifteen minutes before either of us spoke again.

"I don't what came over me. I've thrown myself from my broom twice in a week." I looked at Erika, "Stopping the quaffle was one thing, but when I did it to save Lily, I felt like something else was my motivation."

Erika smiled, "Why don't you ask her?"

"What?" I looked over my shoulder. Erika and I were the only ones in the kitchen.

"Lily's not here now, stupid." Erika said to me, "I meant, why don't you ask Lily later? About her feelings?"

I felt my shoulders rise to my ears, "She and Lorcan are happy. I don't want to ruin that."

Erika noticeably rolled her eyes at me before standing and walking away. But before she closed the door to the kitchens, she looked at me and told me kind of outlandishly,

"Lily and Lorcan aren't as happy as you think."

And with that, my sister left the room ominously. I looked into my cup at the creamy cocoa, but something I never thought would happen happened. I didn't want it.

"Erika." I got to my feet and ran from the room, in search of Lily.

_____

I ran through the corridors when I ran into Alice. Stopping in front of her, I caught my breath before asking.

"Where's Lily?"

Alice patted my shoulder delicately, "Riley thought it was a good idea to take her to the Hospital Wing. Just in case, you know."

I nodded, thanked Alice, and ran off to the Hospital Wing. When I reached the doors, Madam Pomfrey was walking Lily out of the room, patting her hand.

"Now, Miss Potter. If you ever play Quidditch out in these conditions again, I'd suggest taking the necessary precautions." she looked up at me, "Ah. Here's the noble savior."

I smiled awkwardly and bowed my head in a way dad likes to call, Papa's Bow. I looked up at Lily and she giggled at me. She always laughed at me when I got embarrassed, but I didn't mind. I'd admit that I look pretty goofy when I feel that way.

"Well, I'll leave Lily with you, then. She'll be in good hands." Madam Pomfrey stated and left.

We both watched her leave and started walking down the corridor silently. It'd been around five minutes when I plucked up enough courage to say anything.

"So, is everything-?" I started.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." Lily interrupted. She added, "Thanks to you."

I turned beetroot, "What d'you wanna do?"

Lily shrugged, "You wanna go to Hogsmeade?"

"Are we allowed?" I asked.

Lily smirked and pulled a cloak out of her pocket. Her dad's invisibility cloak.

"I stole it from James when he visited." she told me.

I couldn't help but smile, "Thankfully, there's no snow."

We ducked under the cloak and soon I realized I much I had to keel over so we could fit underneath. If I didn't, the cloak didn't work, and my legs and half of Lily's torso was shown. We made it safely down to Hogsmeade and stowed into Zonko's and Honeydukes. We scooped prank stuff and sweets into our pockets and booked it from the shops.

We stopped in front of the Shrieking Shack and laughed to ourselves as we dumped our booty out on the ground.

"So-" Lily started as she popped some Bertie Botts into her mouth, "-was there anything you wanted to ask me?"

I looked at her and stammered, "I- I- don't remember."

Lily laughed and placed her hand on my shoulder, which made my ears turn pink. Lily held up the box in her hand. I held out my palm and she shook some into it.

I popped them in my mouth and felt myself screw up my face.

"It's like all the bad flavors mixed together."

Lily giggled, "What does it taste like?"

I chewed in disgust, "Paste."