13: Beautiful Recovery

I blinked my eyes open and looked around the foggy images. It hurt tremendously to move around, so instead I flicked my eyes around. I saw Lily at one side, holding my hand, which I didn't feel. Lorcan was at my other side, half asleep. Riley, Erika, and Alice were fully asleep at the foot of my bed.

My parents sat beside Lorcan, also asleep.

"Lily?" I asked wearily.

She straightened her posture, "Lysander."

She whispered my name, almost like she didn't want to wake everyone. Just us. For a moment. I forced a smile.

"Everything hurts." I stated.

Lily laughed, "You almost died. Lorcan saved you."

I looked over at my brother and noticed what I didn't notice before his hands had multiple scars that appeared to have been where a third-degree burn was. I smiled, but it faded when I remembered my new friend.

"Nibbles." I looked at Lily, "Where's Nibbles?"

"Relax. He's taking a long, well-deserved, nap. He'll be waiting for you in your common room." I sighed in relief.

My brother stirred beside him. When he saw I was awake, he kicked at my parents feet. They woke quite confused, but at the sight of me, they got too excited. Mostly my dad. He flung his around my shoulders and squeezed me tightly. At that movement, my body sent aches through my body.

But I didn't say to let go. It wasn't until Lorcan said did he let go.

"Maybe we should leave Lysander be." he said.

Mum and Dad nodded and left. Lorcan was about to do the same, but I stopped him. Forcing myself to sit up, I grabbed at his arm. Before I could say anything, he smiled and shook his head.

"You're my brother, Ly. I care for you even if you annoy me." he explained to me. He looked up at Lily, "You know our arrangement."

He smiled and walked away. I looked at Lily. She turned pink.

"I should probably explain."

We sat there in the Hospital Wing as Lily retold the story of her and Lorcan's relationship. Once she was done, I was silent.

"Ly?" Lily started.

I held up my hand as a way to single I was processing the information. When it finally clicked, she'd maybe been sitting there for about fifteen minutes.

"You're meaning to tell me that whole relationship was a jealousy scheme?" I questioned. Lily nodded, slightly ashamed. I stared and leaned back against my pillow, "I'm impressed. Usually, I'm the schemer."

Lily laughed light-heartedly, thinking about it. She pointed at me and quickly added, "You still are, though."

I smiled and shook his head, "I wasn't planning at giving it up."

We laughed until started getting droopy again. Lily stood up.

"I'll let you rest."

I nodded and watched her walk away. Smiling, I close my eyes. Dreamland was quite wistful that night.

I woke up in my room. The loud cries of a baby rang through the walls. He walked down the hall to a nursery. Pushing the door open, I saw Lily standing there lifting an infant from its bed.

"Lysander. We agreed I was taking this one."

I smiled and shook my head, "I just woke up. You can have it."

She smiled and looked down at the infant.

"Daddy's being silly." she looked up at me through her eyebrows, "Isn't he?"

I laughed and leaned down to the infant, "Mummy's being stupid." I looked up at Lily's offended face and laughed as I said, "Isn't she?"

Lily set the infant down gently and chased me down the hall. She threw a pillow at me, knocking it into my head. I laughed as I continued to run into our room. Lily caught up with me and tackled me down to the bed.

I looked at her and smiled. She laughed into my chest.

"Are you ever not going to be charming?" she asked.

"Are you ever not going to be breathtaking?" I teased.

I leaned up to her and nuzzled her nose with mine.

I was suddenly awoken from my dreams when I heard a loud clatter. I thought I'd have to fight something again, but when I looked up, it was just Madam Pomfrey with a dropped tray of needles for the students who need medication every few hours.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Scamander." she told me, "Go on back to sleep, will you."

I nodded, rolled myself over, and closed my eyes for a moment. But I couldn't sleep. My brain was activated. What if the ghost wasn't completely gone? What if she would come back for me? What if we weren't really safe? What if the aftereffects affect Lily in a harmful way?

I lay in bed until I saw the early morning sun shining through. I forced myself to sit up and swung my feet out from under the covers. When my feet touched the ground, I stood up with wobbly knees and made my way out of the Hospital Wing, clinging to the ends of each bed. I stumbled down the corridor.

I made my to the Great Hall after multiple fumbles and faceplants to the stone floors. I stood in the doorway of the Great Hall, scanning for Lily. We made eye contact before she stood and walked over to me. She had a worried look etched into her face. Lily took ahold of my shoulder and looked me in the eye.

"Lysander. What are you doing? You need to rest."

I wasn't listening. I watched her face muscles moving with great distress, but the words weren't registering. I wanted everything and everyone to leave, but I knew that wouldn't happen and I needed to get what I wanted to do done.

"Lily. I can't move forward without you." I admitted.

She parted her lips at my words, "What?"

"I love you more than words can describe. I have loved you since we were children."

Lily allowed the corners of her mouth to curl into a smile.

"So have I." she simply stated.

I swallowed away the nerves and leaned down to her. Our lips made contact and every person, every ghost, every object, every owl was forgotten as I stood there in the Great Hall - holding Lily Luna Potter - exceptionally relieved.

Lily was my past.

Lily was my present.

Lily was my future.