Chapter 1: The turn of the tide

"Do they really look like the teeth of a shark?"

Ten years ago...

"Come on Nat! If we hurry, I can show you the jaws!" 

It's early one summer's evening. The weather on the coast is cooling, but still warm enough to explore the caves. The tide won't be in for at least another hour, if they hurry. 

The wind gently blows through the hair of 15 year old Stan and 14 year old Nathan, as they make their way to the mouth of the cave. The waves gently lapping the white sands on the approach. 

"Do they really look like the teeth of a shark?" Nathan wonders, trying to catch up with Stan, who is about a metre ahead. 

"Yeah, the stalactites and stalagmites literally look like a huge set of teeth!" Stan shouts over his shoulder. "But we have to hurry before the tide comes in."

Nathan runs a little faster to catch up with Stan, now jogging by his side. He had wanted to see these caves for a while, asking each time his family came to visit the Cooper family. But his mother had said he was too young and the grown ups were never too keen on cave exploring. 

Stan had only been once with his older brother, who was now away in the city at college. He had been Stan's age at the time, which both Stan and Nathan had pointed out to their parents this time around, so they relented. 

The boys now stood at the entrance to the cave. The opening was wide, at least the height of a two story house, with it narrowing and closing in, the further back it went. 

"WOOOHOOO!...."Nathan shouts, hands cupping his mouth as the echo radiates through the cavernous space. 

Stan looks at Nathan laughing, copying his actions. "HELLOOO..." No one answers of course, there's always the element of wonder, maybe somebody just might. "Come on." Stan says, making his way deeper into the smaller space towards the back of the cave.

Nathan follows Stan through a metre wide hole and climbs down into a 7ft drop. There is water at the bottom, but not too deep, it's just like a deep rain puddle.

Nathan lifts one of his trainers out of the water and examines it, a little annoyed "Ah, my feet are wet!"

Stan pays little attention to his complaints as he splashes across the deep space. He begins to climb up the jagged rocky face up to the other side and out of the drop. He looks down at Nathan, who is now making his way up and out. 

"Are there any more puddles, these trainers are new." Nathan asks, with a hint of annoyance in his voice. 

Stan just shrugs his shoulders at the comment. "Nat, what did you expect coming into a sea cave? Of course it's going to be wet." 

Nathan just sighs under his breath. These so-called 'jaws' had better be worth it.

The boys travel deeper and deeper into the cave, with the outside light now becoming a small circular dot in the distance. "Are we nearly there yet?" Nathan complains. His feet begin to rub in his wet shoes. 

"Yeah, just around this corner." Stan promises. "You won't be disappointed." Another minute or two pass. The light now has disappeared, being replaced by a pocket torch Stan has brought with him. Even though they were deep within the cave now, the sound of the water seemed to echo all the more louder. Nathan was beginning to feel a little uneasy.