Chapter 7: The lunch break

"Smells good doesn't it." 

Stan leans back in his chair, hands settled behind the back of his head. He and Jojo had worked non stop all morning creating and experimenting with different sounds. Jojo leans forwards, pulling a memory stick from his computer and passes it to Stan. "Here. Take this. Now you have a copy." Stan takes the small device and places it in his jeans pocket. He could now work on their project at home. 

"So now I want to know." Jojo crosses his arms and puts his feet on the desk in front of him, crossing them too. "What's the story between you and Kai?" 

"There's no story." Stan insists. Just a case of mistaken identity.. that's all.

"What do you mean?" Jojo leans forward slightly. 

Stan looks into the distance as if to relive the events of the party. "There was a boy once... a child. A boy who saved me from drowning. His eyes were blue. A greenish blue. Like...."

"Like Kai's?" Jojo concludes. 

"Yeah. I was convinced he was that boy, but I was wrong. I feel silly now, but I've spoken to him since and we're good."

Jojo lets out a chuckle. "It's an easy mistake to make. His eyes are unique to say the least.....you've seen Ronnie right?" 

"Yeah?"

"Well when I first met him, I used to joke that he looked like an alien or something otherworldly. You've seen his features. There's no one like him. But apparently he's a good old human, just like you and me." 

Stan laughs. Ronnie did have that ethereal look about him. He looks at his watch, checking the time. It's just past 1 in the afternoon. "I think I'm gonna go get some lunch." He says, getting up from his seat. "Do you want anything?" Stan looks over at Jojo. 

Jojo rummages in his jacket, pulling out some notes, handing them over to Stan. "Can I have a cheese sandwich and a coffee please?" 

Stan takes the money and nods. Heading out to the sandwich place around the corner. 

He enters the coffee house. The smell of freshly baked goods and rich coffee hitting his senses immediately. He inhales the delicious smells as he makes his way to the reasonably long queue. 

"Smells good doesn't it." 

Stan turns to see Kai joining the line behind him. "Hey...we meet again." He says chuckling. 

"Yeah it seems that way. Are you sure you're not stalking me?" He jokes. 

"Hey. I was in the line first." Stan raises his eyebrows smiling. 

"Actually." Kai continues, "I knew you would be here." 

"So you are stalking me." Stan laughs.

"No. I messaged Jojo." Kai smiles. 

Stan is surprised by this. Was Kai really looking for him? "Well here I am, what did you need to find me for?" 

"That picture, in my apartment. The one with the sea..."

"Yeah, what about it?"

"I just found out they've been exhibiting the pictures at the gallery and today is the last day of the exhibit." Kai looks at Stan, pulling his lips in a little. It's as if he is stopping himself saying the words. 

"You wanna go see it?" Stan finishes the sentence for him.

"Yes." Kai answers, almost too eagerly. Stan laughs at Kai's shyness. It was quite endearing.

"You haven't got work?" Stan didn't even know what Kai did for a living.

"No, I have no clients booked this afternoon."

"Clients?"

"I work in property retail." Kai says. 

"Oh, that kind of makes sense. Your house does look like a show home."

"Thank you." Kai now moves to stand next to Stan. He can't help but take in those eyes again. Kai's eyes are hypnotic.

It isn't long before they reach the counter. Stan puts in his order of a cheese sandwich and coffee for Jojo and he orders an orange juice and a ham sandwich. Stan looks at the money in his hand given to him by Jojo. He had enough, he'll pay him back later...."What are you having?" Stan looks across to Kai. 

"Are you sure? I can pay." 

"You pay next time." Stan smiles though technically he hasn't paid for this time either. 

"Next time?" Kai smiles. "In that case I'll have water and a prawn salad." 

Stan pays with the cash and they move out of the queue. "I need to drop these to Jojo on the way." Stan holds up the additional sandwich and drink. Kai nods and they head around the corner to the small studio space Jojo rents. 

Kai waits outside while Stan enters the room, seeing Jojo frantically scribbling words on a notepad. Stan assumed lyrics. "Your sandwich, drink and change." 

Jojo looks up at the items placed on his desk. "Thanks...hey where's the rest of the change?"

"You were very kind and also treated Kai to some lunch." Stan smiles. 

Jojo rolls his eyes huffing a little. "Yeah, that was kind of me. I guess he caught up with you?"

"Yeah...I think I might just hang out with him a bit this afternoon...you don't mind do you?" Stan tilts his head to one side in question. But in truth, he would have gone anyway.

"As long as I don't have to watch. You two are painful." 

Stan pats Jojo on his shoulder. "Thanks again for this morning."

"And the sandwich."

"Yep and the sandwich." Stan laughs and heads out to Kai waiting outside.

"So...where shall we go and eat these?" Stan asks, lifting up his lunch in its scrunched up bag. 

Kai looks up at the sky, breathing in the fresh air. "On a day like today, there's only one place."