Chapter 3: Welcome to the block

"These lovely lads are the Smiths'

The time is approaching 8pm and Stan is in his new room deciding what to wear for this party, finally deciding on a simple pair of black jeans and a white shirt. He runs a brush through his hair and splashes on some cologne. He looks at himself in the mirror with a half smile. He would do. He could really give or take this party anyway.

Stan leaves the bedroom and makes his way to the main living area. A few people are dotted around the place already. The music is still reasonably quiet. He grabs a beer from the kitchen counter top, popping the cap with his teeth. He takes a mouthful of beer deciding whether to try to mingle or not. These people were his neighbours. He should at least make an effort and talk to them. 

He spots Nathan talking to three guys by the living area and decides to join. "Stan!" Nathan shouts, maybe a little too loud considering the small number of people at the party. He pats Stan on his shoulder as he approaches. Stan gives off a shy smile and nods at the three strangers now looking at him. 

"Stan, these lovely lads are the three Smiths." 

"What?" Stan says with a light chuckle. 

"Kevin, Jojo and Ronnie." Nathan points to each guy in turn. 

"Hi...um are you brothers?" Stan asks, looking at each one in turn. 

"No, we just happen to live together and have the same name. Smith is the most common name in the UK you know." Jojo replies.

"Oh right." He responds. Not really knowing whether he was joking with him or not.

Then follows the awkward silence before Jojo speaks again. "So I hear you write your own music."

"Uh, yeah I do. That's why I'm here in the city. I'm trying to push it forward a little more, you know." Stan could talk about music all day long. 

"We should catch up sometime. I also write my own music." Jojo adds. 

"Yeah, that sounds good, I might take you up on that." Stan smiles. Maybe getting to know some new people wouldn't be so bad after all.

An hour or so go by and Stan has been making an effort to mix and mingle. Apart from the three Smiths, he had chatted with a couple who were newlyweds and some girls who lived on the other floor. The apartment is getting pretty full now and the music growing louder, with people drinking more and letting themselves go. 

Stan half looked around to see if he could see that guy on the balcony. Nathan said he had been invited, but guessed he wasn't obliged to show. 

The music is suddenly turned off and Stan turns his head to see Jojo standing on a chair. A microphone in one hand. "Ok ok let's get this party started!!" A beat is played in the background, as he begins to rap over the top. It gets the attention of everyone and manages to pep up the party. Stan is impressed with what he hears and gets excited about what Jojo and himself will come up with when they get together. 

"Ok!" Jojo takes a break and stares at Stan. "We wanna welcome the newest member to our block. He is the newest musical sensation to hit your ears. It's Staaaan!!!"

The party goers cheer wildly as everyone turns to face Stan who was not expecting to perform in any way, shape or form. He nervously makes his way to the chair, where Jojo has just dismounted, he gets on and begins to do his thing. 

Everyone is feeling the beat and Stan is secretly in his element. He looks out to the small crowd facing him, wanting to engage each person in turn. He sees Nathan at the back raising his beer bottle high. 

The two small disco balls behind Stan pick up the faces of everyone seemingly having a good time. 

Then he gets a little distracted. A bright light pierces his eyes. It's only there for a couple of seconds before it vanishes again. Stan carries on, but then it happens again, a sharp light, bluish green in colour momentarily blinding him, causing white spots in his own eyes. 

He stops rapping and the beat just carries on unaccompanied in the background. The microphone squeals slightly as he places it on the speaker. He gets down off of the chair and looks into the crowd. Almost in a hypnotic trance. 

Any moment now, he would see it again. 

Three, two, one...there! 

There it is! The same bright bluish green light. Stan does not take his eyes from the direction it is coming from. He is completely unaware of everyone watching, wondering what he is doing. It was like he was under some kind of spell.

Suddenly the light disappears again as the disco ball rotates once more, but it doesn't matter. He has found the source. Stan is now standing in front of a figure. A man, a little taller than him, wearing a black suit, with a white open top shirt. His blackish hair swept to one side.

He stops in front of the man, just looking at his face. Not taking his eyes away from him. Any minute now, the disco lights will turn and he will see it. 

Three, two, one...

And there it is. The man. His eyes are a deep blue green. Just like the ocean. The man is looking at Stan a little apprehensive. Not really knowing why he is being the centre of Stan's attention.
But Stan knows. He knows so well. He looks into those eyes with sheer fascination. "Finally. I've found you."