Chapter 14: Ways to remember

"You are the boy from the caves."

They both make a dash for Stan and Nathan's apartment. Stan quickly taps in the passkey pulling Kai inside by the sleeves. "Just sit there a minute, I'll go fill a bath." Stan points to the breakfast bar stools and Kai sits down and waits with his onesie still zipped up to the chin, his hood covering his head.

Kai suddenly hears footsteps behind him. Nathan has come out of his bedroom and is making his way to the kitchen area. "Hey Kai, is that you?" 

Kai pulls the onesie over his hands and lowers his head even further. "Y...yes it's me.' He tries to sound normal. 

"Stan is sneaking you into our apartment now I see."

"Yeah," Kai nods, and in doing so allows the onesie hood to lower slightly. The orange hair is now clearly visible. Kai tries to hurriedly pull the hood back over his face but it is too late. Nathan has seen. 

"Shit! What happened to your hair?" Nathan tries to stop his mouth from staying permanently open by consciously snapping it closed. Kai closes his eyes and slowly pulls down the hood entirely, to reveal the vibrant colour. Nathan slowly walks around Kai as if studying a work of art, ending up facing Kai head on. 

Nathan stares, eyes wide at the shimmering blue grey skin, the aqua eyes which popped evermore against the bright flame hair. "Kai..." Nathan says in awe. "You are the boy from the caves."

Kai looks down, forcing a sheepish smile onto his face. "Yeah it would appear I am." 

Nathan's mind is filled with questions. "But you've been my neighbour for two years. Why did you keep it a secret?" 

"Keep it a secret? Nathan, I don't know what's going on. If you can shed any light...."

Nathan looks again at Kai. "All I know is what Stan told me. That he was drowning in the caves and you saved him. I mean, I was there, but I never saw you. I always wondered how he really escaped...part of me thought he was making it up." Nathan looks down guiltily. 

"Believe me. This is very real." Kai holds his hands out in front of him. 

Stan appears from the bathroom to see Nathan and Kai. "So you see Nat, I wasn't making it up."

"Oh...you heard that." 

"Yeah I did." 

"I'm sorry." 

"There's no time for that now. Kai needs to get in the bathwater. He approaches Kai and helps his weak frame to the bathroom, being careful to not get in contact with the skin. As soon as he is inside Stan lets go. "I'll be right outside ok, just call if you need anything." 

Kai nods as Stan leaves the bathroom, closing the door behind him. Kai now unzips his onesie, taking it off completely before lowering himself into the warm bath. Kai feels an instant sense of relief as he lays back. Trying to submerge himself the best he can. He feels so relaxed, he closes his eyes.

Stan is standing in the small hallway just outside the bathroom, he's leaning against the wall, tapping the base of his foot on it. Nathan joins him.

"Stan, I'm sorry I doubted you. It's just, well I thought you must have been concussed, had a weird dream or something."

"He was real...he is real. But Nat, he can't remember what happened and I can't even touch him." Stan stares at the closed bathroom door. 

"What do you mean you can't touch him?"

"I think that each time we have physical contact, his body changes just a little bit more."

"Stan, he's blue, silver and orange. How much physical contact have you had already?"

Stan looks sternly at Nathan. "That's our business...but it's like everytime we touch, a bit more of him is revealed."

"Maybe that's it." Nathan's words get him excited. 

"Maybe what's it?"

"Well...if touching reveals his true self, maybe it will work with his mind and his memories too. You could you know...explore it a bit further?"

"Nat. I don't think that now is an appropriate time to be initiating...wait, does he even have a dick?" 

"No. That's not quite what I mean. Your interactions so far have revealed aspects of his body. Maybe if you continue to interact with him, on any level, maybe it will reveal his mind."

"You mean get his memories back?"

"Yeah...kind of. I mean it's worth a try." Nathan shrugs. 

Stan ponders the idea before nodding and decides to tap on the bathroom door. "Kai...can I come in a minute?" There's no answer. He bangs a little louder. "Kai...can you hear me?" Stan now looks at Nathan worried. 
"Kai I'm coming in." Stan pushes down the handle, opening the door.

"Shit Kai!"