Chapter 4

Storage center, Sanctuary city

Stacy had heard someone sigh. Startled, she turned quickly around and asked, "Who's there?" but there were only boxes. No sight of anyone. Heading quickly back to the center of the room, she joined Jessie back to back, a useful safety move they learned in girl scouts.

There was no one in sight. However, they quickly agreed to split up and check each aisle. No one showed up for a long time. Then unknowingly, she stepped on something. A squeak of what sounded like pain came from the next aisle, and then a thump, likely something hitting the ground. Maybe this was who warned her not to come down?

However, when she turned the corner, something she never could have expected greeted her. There was what looked like a normal boy, likely a teen, only in place of legs, there was snake. Quite literally just the body of a snake. It made Stacy think he was a snake-centaur or something.

Stacy called Jessie over, because she wanted protection, just in case, and also because the snake-person-thing might be dangerous. Also because Jessie was a mythology buff, and Stacy remembered her spending time researching Indian mythology. She remembered there being something like a snake in it.

When Jessie got over, she let out a small gasp of surprise. "That's a Naga," she said. "They're half snake, half person. I'm not super sure what mythology they're from, but I think-"

Stacy interrupted her before she could get started on a long lecture about this particular aspect of mythology. "I know, Jessie. I am aware you spend hours researching that stuff. Now can you please wake it up?"

Then, the Naga sat up, propping himself on his right arm. "I was awake the whole time. I was just in pain because someone stepped on my tail. That hurt quite a bit, thank you very much."

Stacy gasped. She hadn't expected him to speak.

He continued. "Also, thanks for getting my species right. Not everyone knows what a Naga is." He looked at both of them. "I warned you not to come down here. Why didn't you listen?"

Stacy struggled to find words. Not only could he speak, but they spoke the same language? Never in her life had she had a weirder day.

She finally found her voice. "I was curious."

"Oh, really? And I'm curious about the upper world, but I don't go snooping around, because I might get caught! Same deal for humans down here. If the other monsters see you, they likely won't be as gentle as me."

Jessie spoke up. "Pardon the interruption, but what's your name?"

He replied, " My name's Tanner. Now if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to get up."

Tanner grabbed hold of the shelf and pulled himself up. "Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are your names? Now that you know mine, I should know your names too."

Each girl told him her name.

"I'm Jessica, but most people call me Jessie," said Jessie.

"And I'm Stacy," continued Stacy.

"Nice to meet you. I'm late for school, so I'll just get going. If humans have school, I recommend you do too."

Stacy looked over to Jessie with worry. What time was it? They were probably very late. She checked her watch. It read '9:32'.

Stacy let a swear word slip. It didn't happen often, but this time, it seemed okay. They were an hour and a half late.

Tanner glanced at her watch. "That means I'm really late too. So I should go. Meet back here once your school is over. I'll show you something that should help."

And with that, he turned his back and slithered out of the room.