Chapter 22

Warehouse, NY

"First off, Simon, I want to know how you found us," said Caspian. "We didn't exactly tell you where we'd be going."

"That's not important. There's something else."

Cynthia tapped him on the shoulder, having teleported directly behind him.

"Just spill the beans, Simon. We're waiting."

He flashed a smile at her, revealing his inch long fangs.

"Sorry about that. Anyway, here's the issue. Connor..." He took a deep breath. "He can't turn back."

Ray had turned in his seat to look at Simon, not wearing his mask. He didn't seem to care anymore if other monsters saw his face.

"Connor is your friend, right? The werewolf?"

"Who're you?" asked Simon.

"My name's Ray."

"Pleased to meet you, Ray. And yes, Connor is a werewolf. It's morning, and he hasn't turned back. As soon as the moon sets, he's supposed to turn back to human form. But it hasn't happened yet, and the moon has been gone for nearly an hour. I'm not sure why, if I can be entirely honest."

Cynthia was studying him while he spoke.

"Y'know, I think I recognize you. Was it at a party?"

"I don't remember, but if you think about it, I do think I've seen you before. In the sixties, right?"

"Yeah! I remember now. Seems you still like to wear jackets, eh?"

Ray was looking between the two of them, confused by the interaction.

"What do you mean, the sixties? How old are you?"

"Two hundred and seventy four," he said quickly.

"Wait, how?! Are you a Demon like Cynthia?"

Simon laughed so hard he nearly fell over.

"That's the farthest from the truth as you could possibly be, Ray! I'm a vampire, so I live forever. It's... an interesting way of life, to be honest."

"How are you not dying? There's sunlight right on you! And you aren't going to drink my blood, are you?"

Simon just stared at him.

"A lot of vampire myths are fake, you know. I don't die in sunlight, I just get an awful sunburn. And absolutely not, blood is disgusting. I tried it once. In the fifties. Very gross."

Cynthia shoved her opinion in.

"Actually, it takes a refined tongue to truly enjoy its flavor, Simon."

Ray just stared at her.

"I knew you ate souls, but this is much worse, Daisy."

She whipped around in his direction, a look of pure rage on her face.

"How many times," she said, her voice dripping with anger, "must I tell you not to call me that?"

He shrugged.

Her skin began to crackle with electricity. Ray didn't move. Eventually, she calmed and returned to normal, albeit a bit unhappy.

Simon returned their attention to the matter at hand.

"Connor is in Central Park right now. We should really go."

He walked quickly over to the door and tried fiddling with the lock. Ray stood up from his chair and jogged over to help him

"Here, I'll help. You need to twist it like this..."

He grabbed the handle and pulled it sharply to the left, and it promptly unlocked and opened, exposing them to the outside air.

Ray caught Simon studying him, then looked away and ran back to the table where he had left his mask. He grabbed it and put it on, hiding his features from view.

Tanner, Caspian, and Stacy were all near the door waiting. Ray stepped over the threshold and walked quickly down the alleyway, then waited at the end so that Simon could lead them. The vampire pulled his furred hood over his head, hiding it from the sun. He walked out onto the sidewalk and led the group of teens toward Central Park.

Tanner jogged up to him in order to match his pace.

"Why can't Connor turn back?"

He paused for a moment before responding. "I don't know. In my entire life, I've never seen a werewolf stuck in their animal form. Could have to do with the moon, could have to do with just his mind not being strong enough to regain control. I've got no idea."

"Interesting. Do you think we can help?"

"Why do you think I came for you?"

"I take that as a yes."

Simon adjusted his hood to block the sun more effectively. The group kept walking briskly in the direction of Central Park. Once there, Tanner scanned the area for any signs of Connor. Then he saw him. Up in a tree, a large brown wolf was curled up in one of the branches. watching them.

He tugged on Simon's sleeve and pointed to the tree. Simon's eyes widened when he caught sight of his friend, and, not caring whether or not people saw, he shifted into a pigeon and flew as fast as his small wings could go up into the tree. He turned back to human form and hugged his friend.

As if realizing the rest of the group was there, he grabbed Connor and shoved him out of the tree. The werewolf landed on his feet, showing no signs of distress from the fall. Simon jumped down, joining him.

"Ray, Cynthia, this is Connor. Connor, Ray and Cynthia," said Simon.

Cynthia was practically shaking.

"Oh my goodness, you are so cute!"

Connor growled and muttered, "No, idiot. Werewolf."

Her voice dripping with sarcasm, she replied, "Awww, and he has an attitude, too! What a nice guy!"

Ray elbowed her. "Shut up, Cynthia, you aren't helping."

She shrugged. "Just doing my part."

Simon interrupted their debate.

"Guys, can we please focus on the problem at hand? My friend is stuck."

Tanner crossed his arms. "I haven't met any werewolves other than Connor here, but I think it's just temporary. If my assumption is correct, he'll be back to normal in an hour or so."

Connor was looking at Ray.

"Why mask?"

Ray was taken by surprise by Connor's gravelly voice.

"Oh, um, I'm cursed. I'm slowly turning into a monster, and I can't reverse it."

"So far?"

"Er... I have sharp teeth and four eyes. Please don't make me take off the mask."

"Okay," said the werewolf. "I feel you."

"Oh yeah, you're cursed too, huh? I guess we've both got that. And I agree with Tanner, you should be back to normal soon."

Connor nodded, and Simon thanked them. He walked with Connor to a tree, turned into a bird, and just sat with his friend.

Suddenly, Tanner heard a groan. Ray had collapsed to the ground, clutching his head. Tanner, Stacy, and Cynthia ran to his side while Caspian watched. Ray was gritting his teeth hard enough that Tanner worried he would break his teeth. His breathing was labored, and every few seconds he would hold in his breath, resisting a scream.

"Ray, what's going on?" asked Tanner, shaking him.

Ray took a shaky breath, his hand on his forehead.

"The curse. It's going further."

Then he collapsed.