Chapter 6

School of Sanctuary Detention Room

Once his ridiculously uneventful school session had ended, Tanner considered skipping detention. Of course, the humans likely also got it, and for the same amount of time. So, he decided to struggle through it. When he arrived, he went to a desk with a chair especially for those like him, sat as well as he could, and pulled out his sketchbook.

He began sketching whatever came to mind. Trees and flowers, other monsters, things like that. Something to show the humans.

An hour went by. When the detention room supervisor finally woke up from her deep sleep, she announced that he was free to go. When he left the room, Henrik was waiting for him.

"Listen here, punk, you think you can threaten me? I'm not scared in the least by your little trick."

Tanner could tell he was lying, mainly because of the way his wings were ever so slightly trembling.

"I think you are. Why else would you be trembling right now? I am entirely capable of melting your wings right off your back. Earlier you called me a name that I won't repeat and flew off. If you weren't scared, you would've stayed and fought me. Instead you pulled the coward card. Now, I'm going to leave. I'd prefer that you don't try me again."

Tanner sighed. Bullies were always like this. Thinking they are the hunter until the prey starts to fight back. Either way, Tanner had something he needed to do. He had to get his father's lab card so that he could sneak in and take a couple switches. Snakes have the natural advantage of sneakiness, so he likely wouldn't be caught. Still, it was an awful big risk, and all for two humans. Was it really worth it?

Tanner thought so.

When he finally arrived home, he made sure his father was there. Indeed, he was snoring away on the couch. Tanner has two options: Wake up his father, or wait until he wakes up on his own. The first option seemed a lot more successful, because he promised Stacy and Jessie that he would meet up again after school. School was over now, and they were either still in detention or waiting as patiently as they could outside the hatch.

In the end, Tanner decided to wake up his father. He slithered toward the couch and started to shake him. After around five shakes, his eyes fluttered open and he sat up.

"Oh, heya, son. Why'd ya wake me up? I was having the most fascinating dream..."

"Listen, dad, I have a question. Would it be alright if I... if I toured the lab? I have a few errands to run, so maybe after?"

Tanner had made a wise choice waking up his father. Still groggy, he replied "Oh yeah, sure thing, son."

Success. Now all he had to do was unlock the exit in the storage room, to either go out or have them come in.