Chapter 21

Warehouse, NY

Tanner remained in a coiled position, watching Cynthia take a wobbly step forward. He had no clue what she meant, about her remembering everything.

"What do you mean, you remember anything? Did you lose your memory or something?"

She was busy grumbling about her clothing, muttering something about "stupid traditions" or "why does it always have to have the veil". She didn't seem to hear Tanner the first time, so he asked again. This time, she looked in his direction.

"That's exactly what happened, actually."

He did not expect that. "Alright, then."

"I don't remember how I lost it, but I at least remember everything else. Dying seemed to have brought it back. A few things I'm glad I remember, but other things..." she looked sadly to Ray, who was busy answering Stacy's questions. He didn't have his mask on. It seemed that Stacy had finally accepted him.

She quickly rid herself of her solemn expression and put the sharp-toothed smile she was known for back on her face.

"So! What were you guys doing while I was out?"

Caspian, from his position on the beanbag, answered.

"He was telling us his story and everything. Apparently, he hasn't always looked like a spider."

Cynthia clapped her hands slowly.

"Great job, Sherlock. And did you figure that out while he was talking?"

"Yup!"

"Wonderful, Watson. Continue your investigations from the comfort of-" Her face contorted in disgust. "Wait, is that my beanbag?"

Caspian simply shrugged.

Cynthia groaned and returned her attention to Ray.

"So, spiderboy, you seem a lot more open now. What happened?"

"Oh, great. Now you're using that stupid nickname too."

"Correct."

His eyes narrowed and he sighed.

"Stacy let me take off my mask, and it feels a lot better."

"So you told them everything? Even about that time your friend came over? Terence, was it?"

"Cynthia, I told you never to talk about that again! Not my proudest moment!"

With a sly smile on her veiled face, she added, "Ah, right. Wouldn't want to embarrass you."

"I feel like that's your life's goal, Daisy."

Caspian choked on his spit and burst out laughing. Tanner was struggling to keep himself from laughing, and Stacy almost fell out of her chair.

Caspian was gasping for breath at this point. "Did- did Ray just call you Daisy?"

Cynthia's face had gone from it's normal pink to deep red. Her voice dripping with malice, she hissed "Yes, he did. I suppose it's fair, considering what I do on a daily basis."

Tanner noticed she was trembling. He turned to Ray.

"Why did that make her angry?"

He kept looking at Cynthia, before aiming his focus on Tanner. "It's part of her true name. I don't know the rest of it, but I do know she absolutely despises it. A Demon's true name is their whole life, in two words. When I first met her, she could remember two things: the names Cynthia and Daisy. When I found out she's a Demon, she told me about the Daisy part."