Chapter 1 (Annabelle case)

"It scared us just thinking about it. When you hear it, you are going to think we are insane," a young nurse informed fearfully. Beside the young nurse was her friend, another nurse who had a fear-stricken face. In front of those two friends was a man, a woman and a girl. Ed, Lorraine and Diana Warren.

The man looked to his wife, then his daughter and back to the nurses.

"Try us."

"It started off small, like a hand or a leg in a different position and it's head looking up instead of down. The one day it was in a completely different room. It was moving around by itself," the nurse shakily recounted.

"Maybe it's someone in your apartment playing a trick on you?" Ed questioned as politely as he could, hoping to not offend the women before them.

"It's exactly what we thought at first. But never once did we find any sign or evidence of intrusion," the second nurse spoke after being quiet for almost the whole interview.

"And this led you to believe that the doll was possessed," Lorraine surmised.

"Yeah, that's right. My friend, Camilla got in touch with a medium. We learned from there that a 7 year old girl named Annabelle Higgins had died in this apartment. She was lonely and took a liking to my doll. All she wanted was to be friends."

"When we heard about it, we felt really sorry for her, I mean, we are nurses, we help people. So, we gave her permission to move into the doll."

This shocked all three Warrens.

Ed was quick to break the silence that followed. "You did what?"

They looked at them and said, "She wanted to live with us by inhabiting the doll, we said yes."

"But then things got worse," Diana guessed, making the nurses swivel their heads to the youngest Warren there.

"Yes."

After they explained about how Annabelle was found with crayons and what not, the nurses admitted that they were afraid and that they didn't know what to do. They asked the Warrens pleadingly to help.

"Yes we can," Ed confirmed. "But first of all, there is no such thing as Annabelle and there never was."

"Ghost don't possess such power, but we might have something here that is extremely manipulative, something inhuman," Lorraine elaborated.

"It was a big mistake acknowledging this doll and through that, the inhuman spirit tricked you. You gave it permission to infest your lives." Ed continued.

"What's an inhuman spirit?" one of the nurses asked, her voice laced with confusion and a bucketload of fear.

"Wanna answer that Diana?" Lorraine turned to her oldest daughter.

"An inhuman spirit is something that has never walked the earth in human form. Its basically something demonic." Diana recites.

"That's right."

"So the doll was never possessed?" The nurses asked.

"No, no, it was used as a conduit. It wanted to make an impression of possession. Demonic spirits don't possess things, they possess people. It wanted to get inside you," Diana answered before her parents could speak.

At the Seekers of the Supernatural Ed and Lorraine Warren, they called out to Drew, their camera man to shut down the tape and hit the lights. The sudden shine sent a few people momentarily blind in an effort to focus their eyesight. Diana Warren, now at the age of 19, tagged along with her parents while Judy, her younger sister, stayed at home with their grandmother.

"So we got the church to send over the priest to perform a blessing on the house and its occupants." Ed concluded.

"Any questions?" Lorraine asked, and in a moment, multiple hands were tentatively raised. Diana pointed to a woman near the back who raised her hand.

"Where is the doll now?" the woman asked.

"Someplace safe," Ed answered quickly, smiling at his wife and daughter. The doll was safe in a little museum in the house where even Diana wasn't allowed to go inside. None of the Warren children were allowed. Only Lorraine and Ed. It was blessed monthly so it would always be safe in there.

Ed pointed to a man sitting right in the center of the audience. "Who are you guys? What do people call you?"

"We have been called demonologists, that is one name for us, ghost hunters, paranormal researchers-" Lorraine listed. Ed quickly interrupted. "Hoax."

The audience, Ed and Lorraine erupted into light chuckles. "Wackos," Diana grumbled causing the audience to laugh once more. "Kooks," Lorraine added.

"But we prefer to be known as Ed, Lorraine Warren with their daughter, Diana Warren," Lorraine concluded.