Chapter 2 (Hide n' Clap)

~~~~~~ The Perron Family (1971- Harrisville, Rhode Island) ~~~~~~

The Perron family was on their way to the Victorian styled house they had bought in Harrisville Road Island. The drive from the city had been a long trip and all five of the Perron daughters were asleep, rocked into unconsciousness by the bumpy roads that hadn't been used for a while. Carolyn, the mother of those 5 girls, was the only one in the family who didn't like the feeling of settling into the new home.

"Roger?" Carolyn asked, her tone of voice was weary from only a few hours of sleep.

"Yeah?" Her husband, Roger had answered, his eyes focused on the road but his keen ears listening in to what his wife had to say.

"Do you think they'll like it here? I mean we did rip them away from their friends without a moments notice," Carolyn stressed. Her eldest was already a moody teenager and she didn't want to be hated more by the other 4 younger girls.

"I don't have a doubt that they will. The house is very big. There are many rooms. We could have two girls in each room and April gets her own so there is also space for her toys," Roger was already planning sleeping arrangements.

"Sadie?" Carolyn questioned once again.

"There's a dog house on the lawn. We'll be fine, there is nothing to worry about," Roger assured, giving Carolyn a sense of calm.

Carolyn smiled as she watched the scenery breeze by the window. With that, she commented, "It looks nice."

"I know, We have our own lake just by the house."

"If we could only get a bigger car..."

"We'll get there when we've settled."

The car came to a stop in front of a big, white, double-storey house. On the left side was the lake that Roger had mentioned earlier and the front lawn was covered in autumn coloured leaves that had fallen from the trees. In front of the house stood a crooked oak tree, its long, dark branches spreading like it was reaching out to something. It was quiet, peaceful as if they were the only one's left in the world around them.

Carolyn woke the girls as they tiredly opened their eyes before they saw their new home that they would be living in. The girls suddenly ran out of the car with such energy that you would believe they had been awake the whole time, eager to get there.

April had rushed past her sisters calling dibs on her own room and the other sisters erupted into protests as they ran after the youngest, clambering into the house to get their own rooms.

"Its so beautiful Roger," Carolyn smiled, opening the trunk of their car to let their dog, Sadie out of the trunk, without looking away from the house. Sadie barked a few times before peacefully settling onto the lawn.

"I can't believe how we could afford this," Carolyn reminisced, thinking of the day they had bought the house.

Roger was quick to reply. "It was cheap for some reason. Probably needs a renovation but it's nothing we can't fix. I told you."

April had come back outside after calling out which room was hers and brought Sadie around the house on a 'tour'. As she was about to go inside, she called for the dog and Sadie followed for a few moments before abruptly stopping at the threshold, refusing to enter the house.

After the girls had rushed into the house, only Sadie the dog remained outside with Roger holding the door open for Sadie. "Come on Sadie," Roger beckoned her inside, but the dog didn't budge but whined instead. That was unusual considering she was very obedient.