Chapter 5 (Sleepwalking, a game of HideAndClap)

A/N: since my last chapter was so short I decided to do a double update. Please enjoy and comment if you see any mistakes.

~~~~~~~~ Perron House

In Christine and Nancy's room, both girls were asleep. A thump sounded under Christine's bed, waking a rather sleepy and confused Christine. She shook it off as nothing and turned to lay on her stomach, a leg sticking out from under the blanket.

Christine had nearly drifted off to sleep when a sudden force tugged downward at her leg. Hard. She was dragged slightly from her bed before she pulled herself back to the top of the bed, breathing hard and gasping with fear. With a fast-beating heart, Christine could swear that the room smelled like rotten meant that continued to linger in the air.

Christine, who was quick to judge, accused Nancy of being the one who pulled her foot.

"I didn't do anything," Nancy said, not moving an inch in her bed. Christine scoffed in annoyance, laying back on the bed as she did so.

"And stop farting! It really stinks," Christine whisper shouted.

Nancy still didn't move an inch. "I didn't do it. It's you."

Downstairs, the old analog television was on and producing white noise and Roger had been sleeping on the desk in the next room. A loud thudding from upstairs woke Roger from his sleep causing him to jerk awake from his desk. Nothing else sounded besides the white noise until two small thuds sounded around the house. Then the door creaked, grabbing Roger's attention.

Roger stood from his desk and went to turn off the tv before investigating where the noises were coming from. He walked into the hallway and three more knocks sounded before the door leading to the back area where the kitchen and the laundry area was at the end of the hall creaked ajar, only the light of the moon illuminated the area from the glass panels on the door.

Roger walked toward it and opened the door finding nothing but the windows opened in the kitchen where wind blew the curtain that hung there back and forth. Two more thuds sounded back in the hallway and Roger turned his head back to the hallway quickly before striding with haste up the stairs only to find Andrea standing at the top.

"Andrea. What're you doing out of bed? What's that sound?" Roger questioned.

"It's Cindy. She's in my room. She's sleepwalking again," Andrea informed sleepily.

Roger, taking two stairs at a time made his way up and into Andrea's room, finding Cindy standing in front of the closet in Andrea's room, lightly banging her head on the doors, the thudding echoing around the room. Andrea looked on in worry. "I've never seen her do this before," Andrea said, now wide awake.

Roger raised his hands to quiet Andrea and walked to Cindy, placing his hand between Cindy's forehead and the doors of the closet. Cindy continued to bang her head against the closet but softened by her fathers hand on her forehead. She looked pale. Deathly pale.

"I remembered you saying not to wake her if she's like this," Andrea remembered.

"No, we just put her back to bed," Roger agreed. He gently coaxed Cindy to turn around and with her fathers guidance, she walked out the room not before Roger assured Andrea she was alright and bid her goodnight.

The next morning, Roger had informed his wife of yesterday nights occurrence.

"She's sleepwalking again? She hasn't done that in a while," Carolyn answered back, getting out of the shower.

"Oh no, You got another bruise here," Roger noticed, gently touching Carolyn's back where a dark purple bruise had formed near her right shoulder blade.

"Promise me you'll check that out in the morning," Roger stated, worry laced his voice.

"I will," Carolyn promised. "Drive safe," she told her husband, giving him a peck on the lips before giving him a hug.

A few minutes later, Roger walked out the door, bags and tools in hand, ready to go for his job. A loud metallic sounding bang drew his attention and this time, as he went to check, he found a pigeon cooing, struggling on the ground flapping it's wings, sporting a broken neck like it had rammed into the side of the house.

After Roger left, it was the girl's turn to leave for school and April stayed at home. Carolyn had heard April talking to herself and decided to enter the room.

"Who are you talking to honey?" Carolyn asked, stepping into the room to find no one there.

"His name is Rory! He's my new friend," April replied.

"Can I meet him?" Carolyn asked and April nodded.

After instructing her mother on what to do, Carolyn twisted the key in a circus shaped box and a tune flowed out of the box, eerily calming. The mirror on the bottom of the cover of the music box turned and a little clown popped out of the box every 3 seconds.

When the music stopped, Carolyn tried to see where this 'Rory' was. She couldn't see him.

"Boo! I scared you!" April came up from behind, scaring her mother and almost making her drop the box.

"Sweetie, don't scare me like that!" Carolyn scolded, but with a playful tone.

April immediately changed the subject without moment's notice. "Can we play hide and clap?"

Carolyn was quick to deny but April had used her adorable eyes which got her anything and Carolyn caved, playing one game with her.

April went through the rules with her mother and then tied a blindfold around Carolyn's eyes. She turned her mother and after the count of three, she ran off to hide and left her mother twirling until the count of ten.

Carolyn asked for her first clap. April gave a clap. Carolyn moved through each of the girls rooms and then asked for her second clap. The clap sounded like it was in Andrea's room so she stumbled in, her hands wandering around trying to find a surface to support herself.

"Okay. Third clap."

Carolyn was so sure that the clap came from right in front of her. She wandered forwards, and grabbed on to what she felt to be knobs on a closet door. She swung them open and searched through the clothes that hung there only to find nothing. In confusion, she ripped off the blindfold and frowned. She was sure she had heard the clap from here.

"Haha! You took your blindfold off! You lose!" April came from behind Andrea's door. "You weren't even warm! I was in Christine and Nancy's room!"