【eight】

chapter eight » what bet?

"I can't believe they still have this bet going," Jackie scoffed in disbelief after Donna relayed the message to her. She told Kelso how ridiculous it was and that she didn't want him taking part in it anymore. Though, now she began to feel ridiculous for believing he would listen to her. "Since she moved here? It's been months."

"I know, Eric just told me about it," Donna went on, "But I'm telling you because I think Hyde really likes her."

"So what's Michael's reason for doing this dumb thing?" Jackie asked, pissed off as she leaned against Eric's car, "And what's worse is that she's just enjoying the fact that they're giving her this attention. What makes you think she doesn't already know herself and is just using them?"

"I doubt it," Donna remarked, "I don't even think she notices how Hyde feels."

"It could all be an act- she could be playing oblivious for attention," Jackie pointed out, choosing not to find reason, I'll prove that she's not so innocent. She was immediately blinded by anger and focused on one thing- making it clear that Kelso was her boyfriend. She didn't want to believe that Christina couldn't know about the bet, but she also wasn't convinced that it's been kept a secret for this long. What she didn't know was that the boys no longer took their relationship with Christina as a bet.

"Okay, now after it misses the cup, you can just try again," Hyde instructed Christina as she stared down at the cup-&-ball hand game, puzzled by it's rules.

"But how many times do I have to try until I win?" She asked and he looked at her with empathy, "I mean, I've been trying to figure this out for the past hour."

Hyde thought that if in this situation it was Kelso that he was talking to, he would smack him on the head or make him do something stupid with the hand. Though, now he wouldn't mind explaining the most simplest thing in the world if Christina asked.

Gently, he took ahold of her hands as they were holding the toy, "See, this game was intentionally rigged by the government and its production manufacturers to make us think we can win the game," He answered, staring at their hands as she looked at him with furrowed brows.

"The government?" Her eyes then glanced down at the child toy, it all making sense to her somehow, "I think I'm going to find another game."

At that, Hyde lightly laughed and took the toy from her to place on the counter. He then glanced around the basement and saw everyone seemed bored, "Wait, uh, how about poker?"

"Poker?" She suddenly beamed, "Yes! Can we?" Playing cards became a good hobby for Christina, especially since she learned it all from her mother- from solitaire to black jack.

She looked around the group for approval and watched most heads nod until the basement door harshly swung open, "Michael!"

Kelso groaned deeply at the sound of his name being shouted out by his girlfriend, "Damn it, Jackie! What?"

He placed down the records he was skimming through for the tenth time, upset that Jackie had distracted him from listening to Hyde's conversation with Christina. Kelso wasn't jealous about their growing relationship, though he was more envious on how Hyde, of all people, had the new girl in town. He found himself to be one of the best guys Point Place had to offer- he thought he had it all, even the intelligence to get any girl that he approached. He just didn't understand what Hyde was displaying to Christina that he couldn't do himself.

He met Jackie's glaring eyes, ready to hear what he did wrong this time, "You were supposed to pick me up from practice!" She stomped her way into the basement, and slouched in one of the beach chairs, crossing her arms in a child like behavior.