【two】

chapter two » scooby gang

CHRISTINA stared ahead, still rubbing her tired eyes since she was woken from her sleep only a few minutes ago. "So, what do you think?" Fred asked and Christina glanced over at her stepdad and mom before at the driveway to see a 1960 Dodge Dart parked behind Fred's car.

"You got me a car?" She questioned him back, stepping down from the porch to see the red, fresh and squeaky clean car, practically shining from the sun above them.

"Yeah, you're mother thought it was best." She turned to look at her mother before at the car again. That's probably one problem she had with Fred and that was that he loved to flaunt that he was rich- or at least had money. That's why everyone thought Kim married him. Fred was a bit older than Kim, seeing as she was only about to reach 40 as he was in his young 50s. His friends and neighbors thought that she was mainly after his money, but Christina knew the real reason she was with him and that's because she actually loved the old man.

"Do you like it?" Kim asked as she stood next to her daughter, showing the expression that Christina was supposed to have when she saw the new car and that was happiness.

She met her mother's eyes and cheeky smile before smiling herself, "It's great," She looked back at Fred, "Thank you both."

He nodded and put his hand in his pocket before pulling out the keys to hand to her, "You can take it for a spin if you'd like. There's pub that's pretty cool nearby."

"Okay," She agreed, but stared at her pajamas, "Maybe after I get changed and actually process the fact I have a car."

They nodded and Christina turned on her heels to head back in the house to go to her room. Some boxes were still stacked up around her room, but she was in no rush since she was here only here a day. Her mother, however, was quick to get settled into their new home and it made Christina slightly sick to her stomach. She just felt that everything was happening too fast.

When Christina got dressed and fixed herself up, she went to her window to stare at the car outside. It was a beautiful car and she couldn't deny it, but she was less excited to have it then she would have expected. Any teenager would jump for joy to have a vintage car like that, but Christina wasn't really the car type.

She groaned slightly and moved from the window, grabbing her roller skates after putting down her new car keys before going downstairs to the kitchen where Lim and Fred sat.

Kim smiled at her child, but noticed the skates in her hand, "Are you not taking the car?"

"No, I don't want to ruin the car just by taking it to some pub," She explained, looking at Fred, who held a slightly confused expression, "I'll drive it later, I promise."

They only nodded at her reassurance before she left the kitchen and the house, quickly taking in the spring sun. She walked down her porch steps but sat on the last one to put on her baby pink roller skates that her mom got her for her birthday. Before her dad left them, he chose to teach her how to drive and Christina chose to think that was all he was good for besides walking out.

Her father also wanted the American dream that everyone outside of America dreamed of, but Kim didn't want it at the time he did. At the time, she was like her daughter, believing America wasn't the best that it seemed and that it was exaggerated for those who had never been. And because she was like that, she taught Christina that their home and their town is all they need.

Christina assumed she changed her beliefs once she met Fred.

Christina had noticed the pub as they drove to Fred's house, so as she strolled down the street, she tried her best to remember the way they came. She hummed to herself, thankful that she found it after five minutes because she slept late which caused her to missed breakfast and was now craving French fries instead. When she opened the door, she took in the liveliness of the pub, even in the middle of the afternoon.