CHAPTER 7

FLOATING FATES

On Monday, I arrived at work in a terrible mood. As soon as Amie sees me, she realizes something is wrong.

"You look terrible!"

"I'm looking for a new place to live."

"What happened?"

"My landlord wants me to find another place to live in two weeks."

"I'm truly sorry!"

"The apartment I was renting was ideal; it was inexpensive and conveniently located near the office."

"I wish I could assist you, but I already have a roommate."

"Thank you, Amie."

"You can ask around the office; perhaps someone can assist you."

"I suppose I'll ask the other interns."

Jax enters the office through the elevator doors. When he notices me, his lips widen into a wide smile. But as he gets closer, the corners of his lips droop.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yla's landlord says that she should look for a new place to stay."

"Seriously?"

"Within two weeks."

Amie responds to Drew's request by going to him, leaving Jax and I by ourselves.

"You can move in with me; I have a spare room, and you would be an ideal roommate; we can go to work and home together every day, and we can cook and watch movies together at night." Should I move in with Jax? We've come this far, but moving in with him would be inappropriate. I'm not sure where our relationships are going, but moving in will ruin whatever there is.

"I'm sorry, Jax, but I don't think it's a good idea; we're just getting to know each other, and moving in with you might... It could ruin everything."

"Yeah, you're probably right, but I'll do my best to assist you."

"You're not obligated to."

"I insist; you said two weeks, didn't you?"

"That's all the time I have."

"Not good, but I'm leaving for two days for my cousin's birthday, so I won't be able to assist you."

"You go above and beyond for me."

"I've hardly done anything." Jax's sincerity causes my cheeks to flush.

"We'll discuss it later."

********************

Jenna finds me later that day as I prepare to leave for home.

"I heard you're looking for a place to live." Jenna tries again, and I pretend I didn't hear her.

"I'm talking to you!"

"What exactly do you want?"

"A friend of mine is renting an apartment."

"How come you're telling me this?"

"Because you're looking for a place to live."

"Why are you assisting me?"

"I'm assisting a friend; do you require it?"

"Can I rely on you?"

"I don't care if you believe me."

"But if you need an apartment, here's the address," Jenna says as she walks away, and I glance at the note in my hands. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot. So far, it is my only option. Jax approaches me.