CHAPTER 10

HIDDEN WHISPERS

"What are you doing here, Yla?"

"I just got done with work."

"Isn't it past time?"

"We were completing a project."

"We?"

"It's just me and Amie; she's already gone. Is everything okay?" My nerves are getting the best of me. I have no idea why. Is it because I'm finally seeing Chase after a week or because he caught me eavesdropping?

"Let's not argue about it here; come on in to my office." Chase returns to his office, turning around. I take a deep breath and relax. He appears to be in a foul mood, yet he does not appear angry. I've been missing him terribly. But I wish we hadn't met in this manner. I enter Chase's office, taking a big breath. Chase is sitting at his table, arms on the tabletop, head bowed. He appears to be exhausted.

"Are you okay?" Chase raises his head and gives me a fatigued look.

"I'm just tired."

"You can speak with me."

"You don't want to find out."

"But you brought up my name."

"Did you hear anything?"

"It wasn't much; I just heard my name."

"It has nothing to do with you, Yla; my friend believes you can assist with the situation, but I don't."

"Do you think there's anything I can do?"

"Even if you could, I don't want you to get involved in this."

"How will you include me?"

"I don't want you to get hurt because it may destroy me and the company."

He speaks in riddles! I'd like to know more. Something is bothering him, and I believe I can assist him.

"You can talk to me about your issues; I'm here to listen."

"A person I knew a long time ago reappeared in my life, and this person discovered some old documents and is now blackmailing me with them."

"What are the contents of these documents?"

"Company, but if these documents leak, Celestial may be destroyed."

"Is it against the law?"

"It's not unlawful, but it will harm both the company and my reputation."

"What else can we do?"

"There is nothing we can do for the time being." Chase breathes deeply and rises from his seat at the table. I keep an eye on him as he approaches me.

"We should probably go home." My insides clench when he mentions the word "home," which feels quite intimate when he says it so nonchalantly.

"All right, let's go." The drive home, like the night, is peaceful. Chase seemed to be somewhere else, lost in his thoughts and worries. I wish I could assist him, but Chase seldom speaks to me.

The next morning, I awoke apprehensive. Today is the big day! Now I have my own problem to deal with. This presentation is very important to my evaluation. I should put on my best face! Chase comes into my room.

"How are you doing?"

"Don't worry about me; you have a presentation today, don't you? That's all you should be concerned about today."

"I am concerned about both!"

"Today should be about you; I'm a big boy, and I can handle my own difficulties."