CHAPTER 11

SWEET SORROW

"I ought to have questioned you the same way!"

"Chase, allow me to live here."

As the elevator doors open and Chase enters the living room, I find myself at a loss for words. I can't think of a good enough lie, but stating the truth feels much worse.

"Jax?"

"I suppose you weren't expecting me to come."

"You ought to have called," Chase said.

"I would have if I had known you had a girl over." I merely observe while Chase and Jax respond to one another. What is happening? They must be acquainted; it's unquestionably more than just a working relationship!

"Wait, you guys know each other?"

"We do, of course."

"That is, aside from work." Chase sighs loudly and then turns to look at me.

"It's going to be a lengthy chat, so let's get comfortable." Jax and I look at each other. Now that he wants to know mine, I want to know his. Chase is in the center as we all take seats on the sofa.

"Phyr stays in my house."

"Do you live with him? You chose to stay with him as opposed to me."

"You suggested she move in with you?"

"She needed a place to stay. Of course, I offered. But I'm surprised that you offered to. How does this fit into your policy about no relationships at work?"

"It's a lengthy tale." They appear to know each other rather well based on the way they quarrel.

"How well do you two know one another?" Chase inhales deeply before glancing my way.

"Jax is my brother."

"WHAT?!"

"It's true, but we'd rather not talk about it."

"But you're the CEO and an intern, right?"

"I told you, I wanted to establish my worth before moving up."

I gaze at both men, dumbfounded, as I try to organize this new information in my thoughts. They are siblings! BROTHERS! Oh my goodness! They are so dissimilar! But now that I look at both of them, I notice a resemblance. Knowing the reality, I can't help but see the parallels between them. It's not just their appearances; it's also their personalities. They are diametrically opposed, but there is something that connects them. They have the same brow furrow! How did I miss that before? I have so many questions!

"Why do you keep your connection hidden?"

"Because I don't want anyone to think I'm unique."

"Wait a minute, you have a different surname!"

"That's my mother's surname."

Chase's phone rings, breaking off our talk. He picks up the phone. As he listens to the other side, his expression shifts from relaxed to apprehensive to outraged. Who is the caller? He hangs up with a deep grunt of displeasure.

"Is everything okay?"

"No, work issues. Everything will be discussed later."

I observe Chase getting up from the sofa and walking to his bedroom. So many questions remain unanswered! There is still so much to talk about, and I want to talk about it with Chase privately. I'm not sure how much I should share with Jax! Chase has a few minutes until he leaves. I need to speak with him! I quickly excuse myself from Jax and run to Chase's room. I enter, noticing Chase wearing only suit pants and holding a shirt in his hands. For a while, I forgot why I came here in the first place. All I can think about is his physique. Chase slips on the shirt and smiles evilly at me.