CHAPTER 9

SILENT PAUSE

My files had been deleted from the computer shortly after I arrived at the office. It does not appear to be a system failure. Someone did it, but who did it? Anyway, Elena is going to kill me if I don't get the files back!

"Are you okay?"

"Jax, you surprised me!"

"I'm sorry; are you okay?"

"I'm in big trouble!"

"What happened?"

"It appears that the work I was supposed to present today has been deleted." When my gaze meets Jenna's, I take a deep breath and raise my gaze from the computer. She gives me a knowing, sly smile. It has to be Jenna! There is no one else who is as cunning and bitchy as she is.

"I'll do my best to assist you."

"Huh?"

"I can attempt to recover the files." Jenna approaches me and looks at my computer.

"Problems?"

"Everything is completely perfect!"

"Really? It doesn't appear that way."

I return my gaze to the computer. Jenna thinks she's brilliant! But she has no idea how good I am with computers! I'd like to wipe Jenna's smile away when she realizes nothing she did to me had any effect.

"Everything will be fine in about a minute." Jenna laughs as she walks away, not believing a word I say.

"Are you certain you can handle it on your own?"

"I am."

"You know where to find me if you need assistance."

"I appreciate it." When I look up from my computer, I notice Jenna looking at me with a wry smile. I inhaled deeply and tried to recall everything I knew about computers. I eventually recovered all of the deleted files. I finished it! Jenna passes by at this point, a sarcastic smile on her face.

"Any chance?"

"Sure, everything is ideal. It's as if nothing ever happened." Jenna looks at the computer behind my back, her face changing from calm to enraged.

"You look terrible, honey." Jenna's ears are literally leaking fumes, and I send her a winning smile. Jax comes up to me with a genuine smile.

"Congratulations, Yla!"

"It wasn't difficult. I knew exactly how to do it. True, but seeing Jenna's angry face right now is totally worth it!" Jenna storms away, almost growling. Jax sits down at my computer and starts clicking on files.

"Please don't tell me you're going to delete the files again."

"I'd never do something like that to you. I decided to conduct some tests. Did you know that in order to start our computers, we must enter our personal codes?"

"Of course, I'm aware of that."

"Computers keep track of these codes. And can you guess who was the last to enter the code?"

"Jenna?"

"That's correct." My insides are filled with rage as I make my way towards Jenna!

"Would you like something, Yla?"

"You did it, I know!"

"Show me!"

"Are you okay, girls?" Chase's voice caught me off guard. I was so focused on Jenna that I didn't notice him approaching.