Chapter 16- Second in Command

Word Count- 4569

//

The doors closed as Phil shouted, slamming his hands against the metal so hard they nearly made impressions. A dull ring echoed about the enclosed room, making Nightmare and Tubbo jump slightly. The elevator swayed and jerked and Wilbur grabbed Nightmare's arm to keep them both steady. The lights flickered dully, as if the building was giving up alongside Eret.

"You promised! Fucking damnit Eret YOU PROMISED!"

Phil slammed his hands into the metal again, making Techno grab his shoulders and pull him back from the door. Phil turned and buried his face in Techno's shoulder, not able to hold himself up. Techno flinched at the sudden movement but held him up, looking awkward. Phil broke down completely and the awkwardness melted away as Techno muttered something into his ear and gripped him tighter.

Nightmare tried to fight off the shock, eyes glued to the metallic doors where Eret had last been, unable to move as the elevator shuddered. Wilbur twined hands with him and gave him a reassuring squeeze, but he couldn't find it in himself to return it. Dream wouldn't let him pull away either, as much as he wished he could. The entire situation felt surreal; he couldn't believe what Eret had done. Were things genuinely that hopeless and desperate?

The doors opened and Tommy was the first out, unable to stay in the suffocating metal box any longer. The lobby was still ominously empty, but now that Nightmare understood why he felt a small shudder go through him. As the family hurried across the expanse their shoes clicked on the tile and echoed eerily as streetlights from outside peered through the glass doors.

They got through the door and a couple of cars were revved up and waiting. Nightmare stumbled over to a Jeep and climbed in, still in denial. Eret would follow them out, he had just missed that part of the plan. Wilbur got in beside him, laying his head on Nightmare's shoulder. Nightmare allowed him to, feeling cold. This is what could happen if they weren't careful, what would happen if their guard was let down. And that could never happen.

The Jeep started forward and took off into the moonless night. Behind them, sirens started to wail, making Wilbur groan lowly. Dream snarled at that, trying to sweet talk Nightmare into taking the mask so he could comfort the other.

Shut up Dream, I've got it under control, he snapped at the other.

NO! He's so upset right now, and you aren't doing anything to comfort him! I get that you're some sort of twisted sociopath, but I'm not and Will's not. He's suffering way more than you, so DO SOMETHING.

"You did good at staying calm," Nightmare attempted, a headache burrowing into his temple with all of the mental shouting.

"Thanks," Will replied softly, squeezing his hand gently. Nightmare wanted to flinch away from the contact but Dream kept him frozen in place, pissing him off. The ride was silent, weaving through the city in a pattern that Nightmare couldn't decipher. He was locked in his thoughts, staring out the window and watching buildings rush by. Eret's final words were taking up nearly all of the space in his brain. They seemed different from what she normally said, like they'd been taken from an outside source and molded to fit the scenario (don't you dare call for the 4th wall rebuilder).

The vehicle slowed, then stopped outside of an older, brick building with heavy doors. No fancy glass, no people screaming to get in, no valets or parking garages, and not a single fancy extremity. It looked like a relic from the olden days, before the major wars and whatnot. If this was a hideout, Nightmare wanted to see the rest. It was boring, underwhelming, and probably flew perfectly under the radar.

"This is your stop," their driver said, unlocking the doors. The gold and red rose tattoo on her wrist flashed in the watery lamplight and she swept her wavy brown hair out of her face. "Tell the desk lady you're there for Death, she'll get it."