That One Chapter Where Everything and Nothing Happens

Word Count- 1643

//

He hated being back here, hated that sharp smell of bleach and the blindingly white corridors. Even the sound of boots against linoleum made him flinch. Pandora was haunted by unwanted memories, that was for sure. Each corner and turn was chipping away at Dream's sanity.

He came up to an orange and yellow door and pressed his thumb to the scanner, trying to pull himself back together. Gods, why hadn't he let Wilbur come with him? This was exactly what he shouldn't do alone. Nightmare peeked his head out of the mind void, but Dream mentally decked him with the hardest uppercut he could manage. Better alone than with a murderous, cowardly asshole.

Sorry for trying to help, Nightmare grumbled, slipping back into the darkness.

The scanner beeped and the door swung open, giving Dram a scare. He nearly collapsed as his mind replayed that noise over and over again. Quackity with pliers. Jack with the fireworks. Dream shook his head, he needed to do this. For his own sake, for closure. On the other side we're two guards, standing at a steel door. Both were clad in heavy armor, and one led a rifle against his shoulder.

"Hello," one called out cheerfully. "Come in, come in!"

"You must excuse Charlie," the rifle guard said as Dream made his way down the final hallway. "He's always this excited, even if we were murdering someone."

"And Ted doesn't have a sense of humor," Charlie said, grinning wildly. "Nice to meet you, Dream!"

"Hello," Dream muttered. It was suffocating in this hall. He wanted to bolt. To be far away from here. He wanted out. Now.

"Well, he's as stable as he'll ever be," Ted said, tapping a passcode into the side of the door. It beeped and the door audibly unlocked.

"And if he attacks me?"

"Well we chained him to a wall," Charlie exclaimed, bouncing up and down excitedly. "So if he manages to get out of that, it's deserved!"

"Charlie," Ted scolded, shaking his head. "Not the time. Go ahead Dream, we'll be out here if you need anything."

He nodded, pushed open the door, and stepped inside the cell. It was surprisingly clean and even had a window with a ledge to chill on. Yellow eyes glowed from a shadowed corner, the rest of his body was hidden in darkness.

"You came." It wasn't a question.

"I wanted to stop by before seeing Quackity," Dream said slowly, noticing the square of tape on the ground. His heart skipped a beat at the mention of Quackity's name. "Am I supposed to stay behind this?"

"If you don't want me to bite you, sure," Schlatt said, stepping out of the shadows of the room. His wrists and ankles were shackled to the wall with thick chains. He looked remotely the same, alibite a little odd without his suit. He still had the same glare. "What the hell do you want?"

"What, were you doing something else," Dream taunted.

"I was trying to jerk off you inconsiderate twat."

"Twat? Don't you sound all posh and mighty now."

"What the hell do you want? I'm caged now and you have the city. Have you just come to gloat?"

"Yeah, pretty much. Can you see much from your window?"

"I can see the entire city," Schlatt muttered, his face falling slightly. "Everything I lost layed out in front of me, just ever so slightly out of reach." His gaze sharpened. "My turn to ask. Are you gonna be the next president?"