Chapter 9

I sat outside of Mr. Donovan's- our principals office for about twenty minutes after Mike's mom showed up, awaiting for Karlina's arrival. The whole time thinking of what a stupid decision I had just made. As Mike and his mother stormed out of the office, an angry Karlina was walking into the school doors, towards me. Just as she opened her mouth to speak, Mr. Donovan had walked outside of his room.

Saved by Mr. Donovan- I thought. 

His face was bright red and his fingers were massaging his temporal bones. When he noticed Karlina, his hands dropped to his sides and a forced smile appeared across his face. 

"You made it just in time" He said, extending his arm out, invited us into his office.

I sighed and stood up from my seat, trailing into the office behind Karlina and sat onto the chair beside her.

"I'm so sorry" Karlina said as Mr. Donovan sat into his seat. She shook her head then turned towards me, glaring. "I really don't know what has gotten into him, lately"

Mr. Donvan sighed, his hands folded on top of his desk. "Karlton, I've never had problems with you before and I really don't want to start."

He tilted towards the intercom and pressed on it. "Mr. Greene, Karlton's sister is here." He then looked back at us and sighed once again. "This is the first time you've ever gotten into any trouble so I'm not going to suspend you but... there are consequences for your actions" 

I sat straight up into my seat and glanced at Karlina. "Like what?" I asked.

"Like the history contest"

Karlina and I looked at each other as I shook my head and sighed. "But why?" 

Moments later Mr. Greene walked into the room. He didn't look too happy, so I assumed he was the reason why I wasn't going to be doing the History paper contest. Even though apart of me didn't want to do it the contest, I realized that more than apart of me did. Damn, besides the fact that most of my time was now free, that was bad. I didn't want to stay home and now I wasn't going to be able to see Aliyah as much as I thought. 

"Mr Greene, this is Karlton's sister, Karlina"

Mr. Greene walked over to Karlina and shook her hand then sat in a seat against the wall, close to Mr. Donovan.

"Can you please explain to Karlton why he is no longer allowed to do the contest anymore?" Mr. Donovan asked.

Mr. Greene nodded then quickly started shaking his head  "Karlton, being in any curricular activiites at school is a privilege. I don't care how smart you are, how great of a student you were last year, or how many teachers recommened you for the contest to me. You were supposed to be in my class but instead you were fighting with another student"

"It's not like I went looking for the fight"

He shook his head. "Whether you did or didn't, you had two options. One was to walk away and the other was to fight. You chose number two"

I looked at Karlina as she bit her bottom lip, flaring her nose at me. Ugh, this could not be happening to me right now. I shook my head and stared at the ground.

"Karlton, if we as teachers, constantly allowed students to do what they wanted, when they wanted, no on would get anywhere in life. You already missed a week-"

I looked up, quickley. "But that was for personal reasons" I blurted out.

"Karlton, let him speak" Karlina said in a stern voice.

"And I understand that" he continued, looking over at Karlina. "I want what's best for Karlton. He's a smart kid but I feel that he just needs a little more discipline"