I Caught You

Most of the time, Viktor would stay up late, working on Hextech ideas and upgrading the hexgates in any and every possible way he could.

Due to this, Jayce would constantly ask him and beg him to go to bed or to take a rest. Obviously it was tempting to say yes, it was his lab partner after all. However, Viktor felt that the research and hexgates took priority over his wellness.

"Viktor, please. Go to bed!" Jayce was standing by the doorway which he had just opened. He just finished checking up on the wielding of the hammers for the last time that week and was ready to go into the weekend. Yet, it seemed as though Viktor wasn't.

"Jayce, I promise I'll take some time off in a few minutes." Viktor didn't even look at the man who he was talking to!

"Viktor, you keep making that promise and you never live up to it. You have eyebags, your hair is messy and fluffy, and you just seem overall tired." Jayce complained, stepping closer towards the man in question as he was speaking. "You've changed! Where's the Viktor I knew a few years ago?"

That really hurt. It hurt a lot, actually.

"I don't know what you want me to do, Jayce!" Viktor quickly turned around in his chair and stood up to look Jayce in the eyes. "You've changed, too! Ever since you've become a counselor! Ever since you and Counselor Medarda started talking day after day, you've been completely ignoring my existence!" Viktor was known to start crying when he got mad, and it was an understatement to say he was mad right now. He was beyond FURIOUS.

It would also be an understatement to say that Jayce felt mad as well. He was even more frustrated than he'd ever been.

"What?! So I can't do my duties anymore?" Jayce held an angry stance. "I can't talk to my peers or coworkers?!" He looked Viktor dead in the eyes as he spoke. "It's not like you're the only person in my life, Viktor! It doesn't matter if I don't spend as much time working or talking to you. You should still be getting sleep and keeping up with your health! Don't you see what's happening to you?"

Viktor mentally frowned, but on the outside, he let a few tears fall.

"You're right. Whatever..." Viktor wiped his tears and closed the books he had opened. He packed away his papers and lazily left his bag on the floor next to his, or should we say, Jayce's chair (Viktor wanted to continue what Jayce had left off on).

"Good. That's what I like to see." As Viktor walked towards Jayce, Jayce smiled and patted his back. "I might be out for the rest of the night... Apparently there's been a hazard in the Undercity that might affect Piltover."

"When has there not been?" Viktor snickered softly and waited for Jayce to continue or respond.

"You're not wrong there." Jayce chuckled along with Viktor, and stopped in his tracks for a few seconds. "Do you want to sleep in my room? Since I'm going to be out all night, I might just sleep in one of the guest Council rooms." He offered the man who was already dozing off.

"Hm..? Oh, yeah... Uh... sure." Viktor was stunned by the offer, but tried to not let it show. He had a light tint of pink dusted over his cheeks, he fanned himself a little bit to get rid of it.

"Okay, it's the opposite way." He and Jayce walked to his (Jayce's) room and Jayce pushed Viktor down on the bed. (Not in that way!!)

"Get a good amount of sleep. Don't even think of waking up." Jayce reminded him as if he were a strict parent reminding their child to not sneak out of their room.

"Yeah, yeah." Viktor rolled his eyes playfully and shooed Jayce away to his obligations.

"Finally." Viktor waited in bed for a few minutes until he could assure that Jayce would be gone. Albeit the situation he was in, he was lost in his own thoughts. What was going on in the Undercity? Was there an abundant leak of Shimmer? Toxins leaking into Piltover? Worse...?

"It's nothing I should have to worry about. The Council should take that into account. Not me." Viktor was about to get comfortable in the bed, but when he turned over he heard the keys in his pocket fall onto the bed. In a panic to retrieve them before anyone saw, he flailed around with the blanket and grabbed around blindly for them.

"There you are!" He held them up in victory and shoved them back into his pocket recklessly.

"No better time than now." He stood up from the bed and propped extra pillows underneath it to make a decoy of himself if Jayce did end up walking in the room. (Yes, Viktor! Slay the 2017 pranks!)

He crept around the halls carefully, scared that he might wake someone else up or that Jayce would find him.

Of course not, Jayce is probably already at his meeting!

Or so he thought.

As he unlocked the first lock on the laboratory doors with his keys, making sure they didn't jingle, he changed his position so he could reach the other one. There were two locks on the bottle, and then one slightly above on top. Locks that looked just like the ones on Counselor Heimerdinger's door.

"So far so good..." He whispered to himself, a habit of his. (Act 1 *episode 3* reference)

"Viktor." An all-too familiar voice called out Viktors name.

"Uh..." Viktor innocently looked up at the voice in question. Jayce.

"Er... I wasn't doing anything. I was just... making sure the lab was locked so nobody would get in!" Viktor made up a quick lie, hopefully one that would work in his favor.

"Viktor, you watched me lock the lab doors. There's no need for you to unlock them and then relock them." Jayce bent down to Viktors level and looked at him, square in the eyes where it hurt the most.

"Why are you doing this to yourself, Vik?" Jayce asked the man the common question. "I told you to rest. You promised me." Jayce shook his head in disbelief and disappointment. "I should've known better. You never keep your promises."

"I... I'm sorry..." He apologized. Deep within his heart, he didn't want to do this. Not to himself or to Jayce.

"Are you, though?" Jayce sat down more comfortably. We might be here a while.

"Yes! I'm very... very sorry." Viktor nodded sincerely at the Man of Progress. "I don't want to do this... to myself... or to you..." Viktors eyes started to tear up. God, why am I like this?

"Then why do you?" Jayce queried.

"Do what?"

"Do it." Jayce concluded.

"I'm... I don't know. I'm just sorry." Viktor dropped a few loose tears and wiped them as quick as they fell. He too quickened himself into a more restful position.

"It's alright. For now." Jayce tucked back some loose hair behind Viktors ear and put his hand up to Viktors cheek. "You won't do it again, right?"

Viktor snuggled into his hand as some sort of acceptance and agreement.

"Good." Jayce remarked.

"Wait..." Viktor suddenly remembered the ever-so important council meeting Jayce was to attend.

"What?" Jayce pulled away his hand quickly.

"Your council meeting!" Viktor was astonished. Did Jayce just awkwardly slither out and come here?

"Viktor, it wasn't real." Jayce assured the man that there was nothing he'd missed. "Even if it were real, I would tell them to reschedule or to recap what happened to me later on. I wouldn't miss helping you out for anything."

If Viktor wasn't already crying, he sure was now. (Crying a whole ass waterfall! SMH, and to think he was tough!)