1.2 | Riding With Duttons

╔═ *.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.* ═╗

"We do not inherit this land from our ancestors;
we borrow it from our children."
-Haida Indian saying

╚═ *.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.* ═╝

⊱ ──── {⋆🐴⋆} ──── ⊰

⊱ ──── {⋆🐴⋆} ──── ⊰

Arizona woke up early the next morning knowing it was Beth who cleaned up for her and changed her shorts, she was the one who looked after Arizona growing up which is where Arizona's tougher side came from. "Arizona," John's voice caught her attention. "Hey pops," Arizona answered as he walked into the room. "How are your studies?" John asks his youngest daughter as she climbed out of her bed.

"They're going good, with my awesome brain, I should be graduating in less than a year and the Ranch will have their own Dutton Vet," Arizona cheered with a wide smile, one that made John smile back. "I need you assisting Rip with the cowboys. Got cattle trapped out on the Reservation and I want you and your "awesome brain" checking on those cattle, make sure they're healthy," John says as he fiddled with his hat in his hands.

"Sure thing, pops. I'd been happy to help them," Arizona nodded to him as she pulled out some jeans and a flannel shirt from her drawers. "But before that, I'm gonna go see Kayce and wanted to know if-" John began but Arizona turned to him instantly, "-Yes! I wanna see Kayce, let me get ready!" Arizona lightly pushed her father out of the room making him chuckle, closing the door before she quickly got dressed, brushed her teeth and hair before throwing on her hat.

She made her way downstairs where her father was waiting, the two nodded at each other before making their way out to the car. Arizona looked over to see Ryan, Colby and Shane all standing together by the horses. While her eyes were focused on Shane, Ryan scowled looking between them while Colby rolled his eyes. The two cowboys didn't like Shane much or the way he spoke about women, especially his words about Arizona. Though Shane knew better than to comment about Arizona in front of Rip, Lloyd or even Gator who cooked for everyone on the ranch.

⊱ ──── {⋆🐴⋆} ──── ⊰

Arizona smiled as they pulled up the driveway, she got out of the car and made her way towards the pen where Kayce was trying to work a horse. "Got tiger stripes on his legs, you know what that means, don't you?" John spoke up as he stood next to his daughter. Kayce smiled over to his younger sister before looking to their father, "Spanish blood." Arizona admired the horse as she climbed up the pen before jumping over. Kayce walked up to her and pulled her into a tight embrace, the two younger Duttons were the closest despite their distance; Lee a close second.

"One of his ancestors probably bucked a conquistador and took to the hills. You manage to break his spirit, no horse will serve you better," John says with a small smile watching his younger two children hugging. Arizona pulled away from Kayce before holding out her hand, allowing the wild horse to step forward and place its head against it, which it did instantly. "He'll serve me just fine with spirit intact," Kayce replied to their father, keeping his eye on the horse and his sister as she gently ran her hand up and down its body.