CHAPTER IV

A few weeks after arriving, Cameron decided she owed Jackie for the tour, and reluctantly joined her for a drama class practice at 1 o'clock. She sat in the third row as Jackie stood up next to her and called, "Okay, guys! Let's do it again—a little louder this time!"

"Okay!" the gold-and-purple creature (Zillion "Zill" Martinez) and his girlfriend, a red kangaroo (Kayla Christling), called back.

Cameron relaxed in her seat as Kayla's piano-playing eased the tension that remained inside her, and she closed her eyes as the two students sang a beautiful duet. I think I'm getting used to this place, she thought, a smile coming to her face.

Suddenly, a loud, exaggerated sigh interrupted the duet, and Cameron opened her eyes to see the jackal-ghost thing (Damian Beelzly) leaning on the piano. "You sing like an angel, Kayla," he crooned as the duet came to a screeching halt.

Startled, Kayla let out a screech and darted away.

Jackie grimaced. "Ooh."

Zill shot Damian a scowl.

"Every time!" the jackal complained.

-

P.O.V. – Students

"Ya know, Damian," Zill said, annoyed, "I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to hit on my girlfriend. Especially right in front of me."

Damian stared at him, undaunted. "Does it upset you?" he asked, deadpan.

"Yes!" Zill snapped, his irritation growing.

"Sorry! No habla English, Señor Zilliano!" Damian spun with a shrug and sauntered away while Zill simmered behind him.

Kayla peeked out from behind Zill. "Sorry about that, Zill," she apologized. "I always get nervous when he gets too close."

"'s okay, babe," Zill told her, putting an arm around her. "It's not like he's any kind of competition." He gave Kayla a reassuring kiss on the forehead while she gave him a grateful smile.

Damian scoffed from his place next to his cousin, Jackson Wells, who sat at the drums. "Can't they ever just get a room?" Damian groaned.

"Dame, why do you care, anyway?" Jack replied, giving his cousin a sidelong look. "Your chances with Kayla are zero. And she's terrified of you!"

"Nah!" Damian replied, waving his hands dismissively and laughing. "Religious girls are just a challenge." He smoothed back his ears and added roguishly, "But they always give into temptation in the end."

Jack rolled his eyes.

-

P.O.V. – Cameron

"Alright, guys! That was great!" Jackie called encouragingly. Then she turned to Cameron and asked, "What did you think, Cam?"

"I thought they sounded fine!" Cameron replied honestly.

Satisfied, Jackie turned back to the stage. "Okay! Break time, guys!" she announced. As the students dispersed, she looked at Cameron again. "Oh, hey, Cam! I wanted to ask ya somethin'." She held up a poster that had been sitting on the chair next to her and explained, "Every year, I host a little talent show to sort of entice more students to explore their passions! Would you like to help me out with it this year?"

"Um... sure," Cameron responded. "That sounds fun..." "Great!" Jackie gave Cameron a big, unwanted hug. "Thanks! It'll be fun, yes it will!" She pulled back and added, "Normally, Al helps me, but he's not very good at organizing."