CHAPTER VII

Horris screamed again as Zill spun around and flew away as fast as he could. "Go faster!" he wailed.

Zill attempted to accelerate, but before he could, something lashed around his neck, making him gag. The strange, tentacle-like object pulled backward and whipped Zill and Horris down onto the street, where they landed with twin grunts of pain.

"Whoa, whoa," a cruel-sounding voice sneered. "What's the hurry, tough guy?"

Zill rubbed his head and sat up, startled to find himself staring into the eyes of yet another vampire. This one was a wolf, whom Zill recognized as the older brother of two Z.P.A. students. Simon?! he thought, his eyes widening in fear.

"You owe my mistress an apology," Simon growled, leaning close as his whip-like tail lashed back and forth. He forced Zill to the ground, adding, "We've heard a lot about you, little crime-fighter... and your little vampire-phobia." He grinned, flashing his dagger-like pearly whites.

"What are rogue vampires doing in the city... during the day?" Horris whimpered, squished in between Zill and Simon.

"You got a comment, small fry?" Simon snarled, looking beneath his underbelly to glare at the tiny vulture. "I'm all ears!" He opened his mouth wide—

—and Zill quickly put him in a headlock, shouting, "RUN, TWERP!"

Horris didn't need to be told twice—he took off like a shot, screaming as loud as he possibly could.

Frowning, Simon wrapped Zill up with his tail and gave him a dark look. "Y'know, I expected a much bigger fight than this," he commented. He glanced at something behind Zill and gave him a sharp-fanged smile before spinning him around.

Zill gulped as the vampire from before floated down in front of him. "It really is a delight to meet you, strange little creature," she said, her voice carrying a sultry tone. "I can't ever resist a good victim."

Zill tried to pull back as the vampire came closer, breathing, "I can see the fear in your eyes..."

The vampire cupped Zill's face in her hands as her eyes glowed red, creating a hypnotic effect that turned Zill's eyes red as well. He tried to fight it, clenching and unclenching his fists, but eventually, he could fight no longer.

The vampire let out a satisfied hiss and bent toward Zill, biting into his chest.

"Stop right there!" a familiar voice suddenly cried.

The vampire paused and glanced over her shoulder.

"Let him go this instant!" Kayla demanded, pointing her rapier at the vampire.

The vampire scoffed. "What have we here? Vermin?"

"Kayla?!" Zill exclaimed, breaking out of his trance.

The vampire hissed angrily, lunging toward Kayla with her mouth wide open.

In a split-second, an aura of green fire surrounded the enraged Zill, making Simon cry out as his tail was burned. He instinctively released Zill, who shot forward and carried Kayla out of the vampire's reach.

As the vampires gave chase, Zill made a U-turn, flying as fast as he could.

"Zill! We can't lead her back to the school!" Kayla protested. "People will be in dan—"

"Just trust me!" Zill interrupted desperately. Please let this work...

The couple burst through the doors with gust of wind, the vampires hot on their heels. The other students let out various sounds of surprise as they flew down the hall and quickly got out of their way.