CHAPTER IX

"I'm in the marketplace!" Damian whooped. "Aw, yessssss!" He floated over to Addison's side. "Dude! I've never been outside the school up here on the surface! This place is colorful as shizz! It's—"

He broke off and jerked to his left. "—no way," he gasped. Then he took off at a sprint toward one of the many stands in the marketplace, screeching, "COMIC BOOKS!!!"

The others followed Damian as he plastered himself against the stand, placing his clawed hand on one of the comics. "Aww, man! Is this a new issue?"

"Mm-hm," the man running the stand replied, not looking up from his comic.

"Dude! Addi! Check this one out!" Damian threw an arm around Addison's shoulder and practically shoved a comic in his face. "You'd like it! It's got snakes n' stuff! You like that s**t, right?"

Addison prepared to offer a reluctant reply, but was interrupted when a strange, frantic, high-pitched voice cut through the sounds of the market.

"SINNERS!!"

The group spun around, startled, and stared at the stand across from the comic book stand. Sitting there was a white cat (or was that a dog?) with a wide, sharp-toothed grin. The words "The Saved" were painted on his stand, and propped up against it was a sign that read "God Hates You".

"Good evening, my young sinners!" the cat/dog screeched.

"...Excuse us?" Addison replied, confused and immediately miffed by the exclamation.

"Reading those blasphemous texts is a one-way ticket to eternal damnation, my friends!" the man declared, clasping his hands together. "The only text you children should be reading is the Holy Word of the Lord!"

"Yeeeeeeah... I doubt that entirely," Damian sneered at the man.

"Kinda rude to shout out random accusations, don't you think?" Addison said, crossing his arms and narrowing his eyes.

"I have every right to judge you in the eyes of the Lord!" the man responded, his grin unfaltering. "As a member of the Saved, I just want to help you children change your awful, sinful ways, so you—"

"ENOUGH, DUDE!" Damian suddenly exploded, his tongue (which was black and covered in red eyes) whipping out of his mouth. He stormed over to the cat/dog, who was fearfully clutching his Bible, and snarled, "Seriously! Keep yer dumb, self-righteous preaching to yourself! They don't need any 'helping' from you!"

The cat/dog pulled back, but then suddenly narrowed his eyes. "You're..." he whispered. "You're a... DEMON!!!" He screeched out the final word, leaning toward Damian.

Damian's ears drooped as the cat/dog spat, "How dare you bring your filth to this pure place, you freakish abomination!"

"Hey, dude! Back off 'im!" Sahara snapped.

"Yeah!" Addison agreed, putting a hand on his hip and scowling.

"Get away from the beast!" the cat/dog screamed, holding up a crucifix. "Lest he steal your immortal soul!"

Seeing the holy object, Damian's eyes widened. He began to growl as black-and-red tentacles extended from his back, whipping around wildly. They pressed against the ground like flexible spider legs, lifting Damian into the air. "SHUT UP, YOU FILTHY F***ING LIAR!" Damian shrieked, black horns sprouting from his head. "You think you know me and who I am?!" He barked out a laugh. "You pretend to know everything, but you know NOTHING!"

-

Bozzwick peered around a corner and grinned as he watched Damian go beast-mode. "Perfect," he breathed. "This is gonna be fun..."