CHAPTER V

"So what kind of talents do you usually see at the tryouts?" Cameron asked. It was a week from the last time she'd been in the theatre, and she was carrying a stack of posters for Jackie as they headed there.

"Oh, the children always come up with crazy acts for the show," Jackie replied dismissively.

"C-Crazy?" Cameron stammered. "Crazy like... how?"

"Crazy like creative!" Carrie exclaimed, jumping up behind Cameron.

"Bingo, Carrie!" Jackie confirmed.

"Eh-heh." Carrie leaned toward Cameron and asked, "So how're y'all adjustin', Ginger?"

Cameron let out a nervous squeak, backing away from the reptilian woman.

"Y'all still seem purty jumpy," Carrie observed. Then she watched the stack of posters fall out of Cameron's hands. "Mmmyep," she muttered. "Purty jumpy."

"Well, anyways... me and J-Jackie have to get ready for the tryouts soon," Cameron stuttered, hurrying over to Jackie's side.

"Yeah! The students are prob'ly getting ready," Jackie agreed.

"Yeah. Ah can take a hint, Ginger," Carrie sneered, shooting Cameron a look. As she walked away in a hunched pose, she added, "But let me know if ya ever feel like really gettin' to know yer new home. There's more to this place than you've seen." She paused as she almost ran into Fabian, then snarled at him, "Don't get any ideas, Fuzz Bucket."

Fabian frowned as the reptilian humanoid lumbered off. "And what exactly do you mean by that, Car—" he began to snap.

"Oooooh, Fabian!" Jackie interrupted quickly. "Would you have any desire to help me and Cam judge the tryouts? After all, you and I both know you have quite a background in hidden talents in performance!"

"Well, I..." Fabian paused, glancing at Cameron. Then he continued, "Why, yes I do! But I am afraid I cannot," he added apologetically. "I have some papers to grade." He advanced toward Cameron, purring, "I had hoped to invite Miss Cameron to tea with me, though..."

"Whoa! Down, boy!" Jackie said with a laugh, pushing Fabian's head down. "She's new. Don't go tryin' no fancy stuff this soon."

Cameron grimaced as Fabian raised an eyebrow at her. Oh, god. He can't be... not really... he's an animal... oh, god...

"You wound me, Jackie," Fabian told Jackie with false hurt in his voice. Then, turning back to Cameron, he added, "But in all seriousness, I wanted to speak to you about the human world... what it is like now."

"W—Well—" Cameron began to reply.

"Whup! No time! We are late for the tryouts!" Jackie broke in, shoving Cameron down the hall.

"Farewell, ladies!" Fabian called as they headed away. "I hope to see you for tea soon, Cameron!"
"Bye, Fabian!" Jackie trilled over her shoulder.

"Was that fox... just... h-hitting on me?" Camerno asked, seeking confirmation from the Avian.

"Yes. Yes he was," Jackie replied with a sly smile. Then she frowned as they entered the theatre to the sound of arguing voices. "Oh, dear!" she fretted. "What is going on here?"

"Girl, I say again!" a tall, lavender-skinned man was snapping at the student on stage in a refined-but-light German accent. "Please get off the stage!"

"C'mon!" the girl on stage—the same one who'd sniffed Cameron a month earlier (MacKenzie Payoray)—protested. "You didn't even see my act! That's not fair!"