(9) Flustered

Hey everyone!
I promise I'll be quick cause you're here for Camilo lol.
Somehow this books at 4K reads which I can't wrap my head around. (I launched this story literally a week ago)
So thanks again! You (yes you) are amazing, and I'm so grateful for all of your support! Your sweet and funny comments inspire me so much and I feel so blessed to have such lovely readers!

Now back to Camilo...

The next morning, some of the Madrigals went to search for Mirabel, and a few stayed back where Casa Madrigal stood, in case she came back. It was late afternoon when we heard Julieta shouting, and we realized that Mirabel had come home.

We all dash around the corner of the ruins of the house and see Julieta and Mirabel hugging one another.

"We were so worried. We couldn't find you." Julieta says with tears in her eyes.

A swollen Agustín runs up to them and places his hands on their shoulders. "There were bees everywhere." Mirabel places a loving hand on her dad's cheek and smiles at him. Agustín pats her shoulder. "I'll be okay."

I smile at the sweet moment as Camilo walks up. "Uh... not if we don't have a house." He says, placing his hands on his hips. Félix nudges his son with his elbow. "What? We don't have a house. I can't say we don't have a house?" Camilo gestures to the pile of rubble in front of us. "What is that? Not a house."

I try to hold in a laugh.

Mirabel slowly walks up to the broken doorway of the house. "Look at this home; we need a new foundation. It may seem hopeless, but we'll get by just fine." She begins to sing.

Suddenly, a lightbulb goes off in my head. I quickly run back into town and stand on the steps of the church. I feel the swarm of butterflies begin to fly around in my stomach at the thought of getting everyone's attention. C'mon (yn)... you can do this. Do it for the Madrigals. I think, trying to reassure myself. I take a deep breath. "Everyone!" I shout. I look around and I only get a couple of sideways glances. I wasn't being loud enough...

Louder!

"Attention everyone!!" I try shouting with more force, but I'm still not loud enough.

Louder!

"HEY!! EVERYONE LISTEN UP!!!"

The people stop what they're doing and turn to face me. I feel my heart racing as I look around at everyone. So many people... I push the thoughts from my mind. I didn't have time to worry about myself. I take a deep breath inward. "The Madrigal family needs our help! Casa Madrigal has completely fallen apart, and the magic is gone with it!" a few people gasp and murmur to each other. "I know it's asking a lot, but they need your help to rebuild their home! They devote themselves to helping this community in any way they can, and never ask for anything in return. It's time that we return the favor! Now, who's with me?!"

A roar of cheering erupts from the crowd, and I grin from ear to ear.

I can't believe I did it!

"Then let's go!"

I lead the townspeople down the path to the Madrigal's home, and we begin singing.

A: "Hey!

Lay down your load!

(Lay down your load~)

We are only down the road!

(We are only down the road~)

We have no gifts, but we are many~