Baby Sitting Responsibilities // Javier Peña

(Javier Peña x F!Reader)

The sunshine poured through the windows of Javier's near cramped LA apartment. He sighed as his eyelashes fluttered softly. He rolled over, wrapping his arms around you. You shift a little.

"Buenos dias, mamacita..." he rasps. He leans over, kissing you on the shell of your ear, trailing them down to your neck. You roll over, facing him to kiss him. Suddenly, you stop. "Holy shit...what time is it?" You ask. Javier wrinkles his brow. Just then, there's a knock at the door.

You had completely forgotten that your sister was coming over. She was bringing her little girl, Layla. Javier was supposed to babysit for a day while you and you sister were going out shopping. Today was that day. And you two had overslept.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" You hissed as you jumped up trying to get dressed in the process. Javier was hurrying to get bottoms on as well. You went running out to the living room, almost tripping over the coffee table. "Coming!" You shouted. You yanked the door open, looking an absolute mess to your sister who was very neatly put together on the outside. You gave a meek grin. "Hi." You say.

She raised a brow. "Come in." You say, stepping to the side. She walks into the apartment and sets Layla's diaper bag down. Living in LA has made your sister bougie beyond belief. She only wears designer clothes and carries only designer handbags. Meanwhile, you and Javi live out of Target and thrift store clothing. You can't complain, it's better than nothing.

You take Layla from her. She's a happy baby, like always. You sit down on the couch, bouncing her lightly and making funny faces. Moments later, Javier emerges from the bedroom, pulling his shirt down. Sleepiness tattered his eyes. He shuffled towards the coffee pot. "Good morning, Javier." Your sister says, going through her purse.

Javier grabs himself a cup of coffee before coming to sit by you. He places the coffee cup down and opens his arms as Layla is reaching for him. "Come here, little one." He says. You pass the baby to him. He gives her a gentle kiss as she leans against his body. "You're always so good with kids." You say. Javi makes an indifferent noise and you can't help but frown.

You want a baby so badly, but you know Javi doesn't feel the same. You've left it alone and have tried to see the positives of not having a baby, but every morning when you are in the bathroom about to take your birth control...you catch a glimpse of the trashcan and want to throw them away. You want to just try.

Your sister blathers on to a half asleep Javier all the things he needs to do for Layla while the two of you are out. "She's a baby, Genie." Javi says, dismissively. "I'm sure that I know how to care for a baby." He says. Genie jumps to say something when you intervene. "It'll be fine. Let's go." You say, grabbing your bag from the couch. You give Javier a kiss goodbye and leave with your sister.

Layla gives Javier a quizzical look. "Listen kid, I'm not going anywhere for the next 30 minutes. So just fall asleep with me until I get up." He says. Layla lays her head back down, as if she understands.

• • •

"Do you think he'll be alright?" Genie asked. The two of you were browsing around a Dior store that was quite the ways from your apartment. "Sure. He's a good...a good baby sitter." "Which begs another question of: when are the two of you going to make me an aunt?" Genie asked. You sigh. Touchy subject, as always. "I guess whenever we're ready." You respond. Everything in the store looks so expensive and you don't feel like your hands are clean enough to touch anything. You settle to keep your hands in your pockets or at your side.

"When you're ready? No one is ever really ready for that, and you know it." You can't bear to tell her the truth. She'd look at Javier with even more judgement than she did now. It would break your heart in more ways than one. "What do you think about this?" Genie asked, changing the subject. You looked over at the expensively priced (and extremely gaudy looking) material. You shrugged your shoulders. "It's nice." You commented.