03 - i bet you think about me

"i bet you couldn't believe
when you realized i'm harder to forget,
than i was to leave
and I bet you think about me"

Harry.

"Sorry I'm late, got a little turned around coming from where I dropped Lennon off." I give Ben a hug before settling into my seat across the table from him.

Though I wasn't really lying, I just didn't tell him that the reason why I got turned around was because I'd just seen my ex-girlfriend of ten years. Didn't really see the benefit in mentioning it.

And she has a kid? How did that happen?

I have a kid. How did that happen?

She said she had a failed marriage? Changed her name and everything? I wonder what happened; was the guy Andie's dad? No. I can't do this anymore. It's not my business.

"Holmes Chapel is cute, I can see why you like it so much. Though, New York or London seems more up your alley." Ben's voice captures my attention, deterring me from the dangerous rabbit hole I was falling down.

I let out a small chuckle. "Ben, in all the years I've known you, when have I ever told you that I actually liked living in the city?"

"Touche."

Ben's been my agent since I started writing. We were both pretty new in the world of publishing, but we both were a part of the same internship at a company in New York. We were friends before coworkers so when he wanted to be an agent and I wanted to be an author, it seemed like the perfect idea. Ben and his fiancé actually were the ones who introduced me to Lennon's mom.

Now, we're Ben Dartmouth and Harry Styles. Established partners in the writing industry after five successful novels.

"I forgot to ask at dinner, how's Leo?" I take a sip of my water, perusing the café menu.

A smile dances on his lips. "Good, he's great. Holding the fort down back in the city, ready for me to come home. But you know, business is business."

I nod my head. "You know, I really wish you visited me just to visit me."

"You and me both, but you know, duty calls."

I clear my throat, setting the menu having decided on a caesar salad with salmon.

"Well there's no point in dancing around it then, give it to me straight, big guy." I clasp my hands together on the table.

He takes a deep breath. "They just want one final novel, and then you're out. Then you can retire on a big pile of cash with royalties until the day you die."

"And why should I come back? What's different this time?"

"Well, you already know that they're offering a big sum to get you to come back, but if we're talking numbers...double what you got paid upfront last time and instead of your usual 24% royalties, they've decided to offer you 37%."

An impressed breath escapes my lips. "How'd you manage that?"

He smiles, satisfied with his work. "It was easy, really. I just told them that you were done and if they wanted you back at all, they'd have to give you a damn good reason. Didn't leave the room until they settled on 37%."

"You're a damn good agent, have I ever told you that?"

"All the time."

I take a deep breath, but before I could respond, the waiter came around and took our orders. We handed him the menus and he left to go turn them into the kitchen.