29 - the story of us

"oh, a simple complication
miscommunications lead to fallout
so many things that i wish you knew
so many walls up i can't break through
now i'm standing alone in a crowded room
and we're not speaking
and i'm dying to know
is it killing you like it's killing me?
i don't know what to say since the twist of fate
when it all broke down
[but] the story of us looks a lot like a tragedy now"

*it's game time bitches. we're in the actual homestretch now.*

Nadine.

All things are a go.

We're prepared for this, I think. We can handle it. We've been planning this for months.

My hands rub themselves dry against the dark brown corduroy of my overalls. Underneath it is a cream coloured roll-neck sweater. I didn't want to take any chances tonight so I wanted to wear something comfortable. Reliable.

Everything around me is illuminated by a subtle glow. The other parents and committee members here, making sure every last detail is correct, conduct themselves with such authoritative chaos, I can't help but stand and stare.

String lights decorate the top of the tent, wrapping around the metal that supports the water-resistant white fabric. If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't have half a clue that it's just to create a disappearing illusion for the metal supports.

Underneath the tent covering, and my feet, is a temporary hardwood floor, rented especially for tonight.

Across the floor from me is the bar, which is in its final stages of setting up. Surrounding me are the banquet tables. Candles and gold accents cover the white tablecloths that cover them.

Between the tables and the bar is a small dance floor. A live orchestra has set up under their own tent, just off to the side. Miscellaneous classical music fills the atmosphere as they tune their instruments.

Across from them, to my right, is the buffet, currently also in its final stages of being set up. Don Alberto and, most importantly Blaire, had no problem catering this event when I asked.

Down by the lake is the lantern stand, a small stage, and kid crafts. The path to our second location is lined by votive candles.

It's all so ethereal. Everything has this effortless class to it–a regal feel–and I feel terribly out of place.

Everyone that will come tonight won't even blink an eye. They'll fit right in without a problem.

Will I stick out like a sore thumb? Will people look at me and think the same things I am?

Of course, for that to happen it would mean people showed up. The event we've been planning for months has finally come to fruition and people will come. 

People will come.

My stomach is in knots, as it has been the whole day as I think about the actual turnout of this whole thing.

We sent the invitations a couple weeks ago and were met by an overwhelming amount of confirmations that those who received them will come, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a slight possibility they won't.

Actually, I can't say that's true. I know people will come. I just don't know if the one person that I want to come will show up.

Harry and I still haven't had a chance to speak about what happened.