33 - the archer

"i've been the archer,
i've been the prey.
who could ever leave me, darling?
but who could stay?"

Nadine.

"Take it easy tonight, okay? Today was...rough. Don't beat yourself up. Finn's an ass. Always has been, always will be." Blaire let's go of the tight hug she wrapped me in.

"Thanks Blaire."

"Good luck tonight. If you need anything at all, I'm just one call away."

"I'll be fine, but thank you."

Blaire nods at me. I turn away, making my route to the exit. "Make him work for your forgiveness! Hands and knees! Begging!" She calls out behind me.

I hold up a thumbs up behind my head for her to see. She laughs.

"Go get him, tiger!"

"Goodnight Blaire!"

After Finn's measly performance, Blaire and I went into the office together. She asked me if I was alright and wanted to talk about it. I broke down and told her all of the important parts—the world's most bleak highlight reel, if you will.

She told me she was here for me and that I didn't have to go out on the floor for the rest of the night. I stayed in the back, helping her go through paperwork and refilling salt and pepper shakers.

Clearly these jobs weren't intended to last long, because I could've sworn she kept disorganizing stacks of the same papers and emptying the shakers when I wasn't looking.

Today's been a lot and will continue to be a lot. I still have to have my chat with Harry. I still have to process everything Finn said to me.

Processing.

I feel as though that's all I've been doing as of late.

As I drive to Harry's I make a mental checklist of all the things I need to do.

Call my lawyer, get the paperwork to relinquish Finn's parental rights, and send it to him.

Get a security system in case Finn decides to show up at my house during one of his episodes.

Call my parents, confront them about everything, and finally do what I've been waiting the past six years to do. I'm going to rid myself of their presence. Cut them off, if you will. They have no right being in my life, as little as they are, for the things they've done to me and will continue to do to me if I don't stop it now.

Talk to Harry. Apologise to him. Listen to his apology. Tell him I'm pregnant. Go from there.

Seems easy enough.

Keyword: seems.

God, I think I'm going to throw up.

How did everything get so convoluted in such a short amount of time? As soon as I ask it, I answer it.

Love.

I recall the conversation Harry and I had in my kitchen during our first proper hangout since...well, since everything.

"Fine." I speak into the tense silence. Harry stops what he's doing and looks at me. I meet his gaze. "There's no reason to hold this grudge any longer. This is your second chance."

"Are you saying–"

I let out a sigh. "Yes, Harry, I'm saying that we can try this. So, I'm asking you: will you be my friend again and pretend to be my husband at the reunion?"