14 - dancing with our hands tied

"deep fears that the world would divide us
so, baby, can we dance
oh, through an avalanche?
and say, say that we got it
i'm a mess, but i'm the mess that you wanted
oh, 'cause it's gravity
oh, keeping you with me
[...]
but we were dancing,
dancing with our hands tied"

Nadine.

"I don't know about this one. Does it look weird on me?" I inspect myself in the mirror of a cramped dressing room, straightening my frame so I can see the full potential.

Can it be? Do I actually like this one?

Daphne sits on the small stool provided, holding her belongings and the clothes I wore in here. She looks at me through squinted eyes, as if she's really trying to make a beneficial observation.

We've been shopping for hours and nothing is working out. The dress is either too tight at my chest, too long at the knees, the sleeves feel weird, the collar is too tight, the fabric is too itchy, etc. I guess it's my fault for waiting to get something to wear for an event the day of.

I mean, what does a person even wear to a secondary school reunion where you're pretending to be successful and happily married to the person you used to date at that time?

Where you're supposed to be happily married to your biggest heartbreak who just so happens to be the person you shared a totally non-platonic (totally rom-com worthy, totally earth-shattering, and totally electrifying) kiss with?

The person for which all these feelings are coming back in full swing?

What do you wear to an event when that is your plus one? I don't have an answer either. Maybe that's why I put it off.

I'm currently wearing a black, sleeveless, wide-leg, keyhole jumpsuit and I can't take my eyes off of my reflection. Call me conceited, but I recognize game when I see it. And I see it right here, right now.

To say that I'm not buying something slightly provocative to maybe...stir something in Harry wouldn't be a lie in the slightest, but I also want to look good for myself.

I want to look so fucking good no one can say shit about me without sounding like they're just jealous of how I look. And I think it's safe to say this jumpsuit has checked all the boxes.

Whatever Harry feels about it is just a bonus. He doesn't need to know I'm buying this technically for him. Because I'm really not.

Except that I kind of am.

"I love it. It doesn't look weird on you at all. You look fucking hot. You'll be turning everyone's heads. Honest. What's even the dress code for something like this?"

"Really? You believe that, you're not just saying that, right?" I pull out my phone and hand it to her, the formal invitation we received weeks ago lit up the screen. I slide the jumpsuit off my body and grab my clothes from Daphne's lap.

"I'd never lie to you. Lying got you into this mess, remember?" I ignore the slight dig, nodding my head, reading the invitation over her shoulder.

You are cordially invited to celebrate ten years of your graduating class!
Yes, it's already been ten years.

Festivities will be held in the gymnasium at half past seven, promptly.
Snacks and drinks will be provided.
All you need to bring with you is your best self!
Children are optional, though heavily discouraged.
Dress code is black tie. Wear your best!