Chapter 39: Performance

Bruges; 20:08 CET:

The crowd roared as the lights danced under the tent of the blue tarps.

"Damen und Herron! Madame et monsiers. Ladies and gentlemen.
A flash of light and smoke goes off, catching everyone's attention. The ringmaster steps out into the spotlight and spread his arms for the crowd to see. A winning smile spread across his face. "Welcome to the Haly International Traveling Circus! Where the world of the center ring is your oyster!"

Then he points to the sky with his staff. "And these are our latest pearls..."

The spotlights move to the high rise platform on a singular figure. A boy in his teens grabs a hold of the trapeze bars and takes off. "Dan Danger." He somersaults into the air and exchanges the bar with an older teen girl with ginger hair. "Dawn Danger." A blonde teen held a bow with three arrows notched on the string. "Diane Danger." Apposing her is another redheaded teen with the same bow and arrows. "Dane Danger." In the center is a raven headed teen with burly muscles holding a barrel in each arm. "Dean Danger." Lastly, on top of the barrels stood the youngest looking member, a girl with long black hair who twirled some knives in her hand. "And Dahlia Danger."

The archers launch their arrows in the air as the other boy threw the barrels into the air along with the girl. The girl launched off the barrels and somersaulted into the air before blowing her knives on fire and throwing them at the barrels. The barrels caught aflame as the two trapeze artist weaved through its hollow interior and the arrows whizzed by harmlessly.

"You'll never see another trapeze act like this, folks." The announcer introduced. "And all performed without a net."

Dahlia began to fall and Dean positioned himself under her before throwing another barrel for her to launch off of once again as she sailed into the air.

Dan and Dawn were about to start another stunt when Dawn was just shy of reaching Dan's hand.

'Robin!' M'ghann cried out telepathically.

'Don't blow our cover!' Robin ordered.

'But saving your life is okay?'

Without a second thought, Akira a Robin interlocked hands in the air as the ninja used her momentum to help launch the acrobatic back to the trapeze. He reached for M'ghann's hand, but he almost missed once again.

But the Martian's eyes glowed green and he was pulled into her grasp.

'What did I just say?' Robin scowled as he was swung to safety.

"The crowd couldn't see me use telekinesis from below,' M'ghann reasoned as they dismounted. 'Besides, I've been doing it all night. I'm not exactly the acrobat you are.'

'Yeah neither am I, right now,' Robin admitted as a bead of sweat dripped down his cheek. 'I think I caught the 24 hour bug that's been going around the circus. But the show must go on.'

'Let me take a look at you before anything else,' Akira waved to the crowd. 'We can't risk all of us getting sick.

They were investigating a recent string of high tech robberies that have been coinciding with the stops of Haly's Circus stops. The mission was debriefed by Robin that supposedly came from Batman, but Akira had a sneaking suspicion that was not the whole or correct truth. But they were going to get to the bottom of it.