Chapter 1: the classroom of the 'elite'

Kiyotaka POV:

We just got through with the entrance ceremony, I spent that time observing my classmates. I did so with other classes, but there were very few people who caught my eye. This Miko Yotsuya girl is one of them, she was just staring at me. I knew we did it at the same time, but even with limited social knowledge I knew what she was doing was weird. I don't have room to talk though, I would probably be ousted as a freak if anyone knew my background.

Miko was acting odd compared to other people, it was as if there were obstacles always in the way. On our way to the entrance ceremony, she suddenly stopped and started staring at the air. After, I walked in front of her she visibly freaked out. Miko grabbed me and pulled me to the rest of the way to the ceremony. I thought I saw her eyes shaky; I will not pry into her life. 

Although her behavior is odd, I don't think I mind. Miko reminds me of Matsuo, I know the unfortunate fate he likely met once I left for here. That man will never show mercy, I guess that is something we have in common. Like father like son.

We walked in the classroom, I stopped to look around at everyone. This was my class it seemed, only around half the class was here. I saw a trio of boys ogling a group of girls that was gathered in the front with a popular looking boy with blonde hair was their main focus of attention. Other students gathered around, I looked around and thought I saw my name on a seat.

I had the perfect seat, far in the back and staring out the window. Miko was staring at the seat that was next to my desk, I noticed the nameplate Miko Yotsuya. 

"It would seem we are seatmates, Miko." the girl gave me a slight nod before staring at her seat.

I sat down, but it seemed that Miko decided to not take her seat. There are those eyes again, shaky, it was as if she saw something. What odd behavior.

"K-Kiyotaka, can I ask you a favor?" A favor? How intriguing.

"Sure, what is it?" 

"Could you, just, erm, sit in my seat for me for a second."

What? 

Miko POV:

Why did I just ask someone I just met, a weird question like that? I cursed myself inwardly.

Right in my seat was a large repulsive creature, it had a school uniform on. A ghost student it would seem.

Learn, learn! Learn! I want to learn!

It was looking at me! I kept staring in the same direction. Please answer me-

"Sure, I don't know what you're getting at but it seems important to you."

Why is my face heating up all of a sudden? It wasn't like I had ulterior motives; this was just an experiment.

Leeeeeeeearn! Rawwwwwwdbesbsbsbsbsb!

I had to maintain my stoic face as I heard those agonizing cries of the ghost. It seemed that the same thing of which happened on the bus was happening here. It wasn't like I wanted to use him; I just need to sit down!

Kiyotaka sat back down in his seat, I can't let my protection escape me!

"Thank you, Kiyotaka." He nodded "Would you like to walk back to the dorms together after class."

Kiyotaka POV:

Well, there wasn't anything wrong with the seat. The only conclusion I could come up with for why she wanted me to sit there was Miko having a thing for sitting where others sat.