eighteen - sudden kindness

"Annie!" My head turned at the sound of the familiar voice, and I smiled sadly at Ryder. He walked up to me at my locker, and surprised me by instantly pulling me into a hug.

"How are you? Why did you do that yesterday?" He was the one to break the hug, instead bending down slightly and cupping my face in his hands. I instinctively blushed, overwhelmed at his sudden need for physical contact. After Finn confronted me, I had left in a split second. So for the next hour and a half I sat outside in the carpark, waiting for Blaine to leave glee club. When he came, he said no one was allowed to go after me.

"I'm okay and I had to do what was both smart and right." I said, looking into his brown eyes. They were pretty, and reminded me of melted chocolate.

"It wasn't smart, Annie," Ryder sighed, his hands still on my face. "You and Finn are really close and you threatened that by saving Kitty."

"She would kill me. You know she would." I whispered, biting my lip.

Ryder sighed, his thumb stroking my cheek slowly. I was more confused than flustered, and didn't react like I usually did.

"What's happened to you?" I asked, surprising myself by saying my thoughts out loud. "I thought we were ignoring each other."

"I realised that you were awesome, and needed kindness rather than harshness." I gave him a look, but smiled anyway.

"Well, that's very sweet of you." I replied. We didn't say anything for a moment, until Ryder's expression changed from neutral to optimistic.

"I can't believe I almost forgot. I'll see you in Phys Ed?" I raised an eyebrow, but nodded slowly. Ryder grinned at me, leaning in to kiss my forehead before running off.

I stood still, watching him dash away from me. It took me a moment, but he when he disappeared around the corner, reality sunk in and I squealed quietly.

Ryder kissed my forehead. And held my face. And looked into my eyes. Please excuse me while I freak out.

Once I had composed myself, I got the books I needed from my locker and slammed the door shut.

"You seem happy." Sam quipped, making me jump as he walked past me.

"Just your average Thursday gleefulness." I said sarcastically in response. Sam stopped walking, turning around and standing next to me.

"Finn was pissed after you left yesterday." I sighed when he brought it up, knowing that would be the main topic of the day.

"I figured. But it sucks that he let it all out on you guys."

"He did kick a chair. But that's just Finn's thing." Sam shrugged, smiling reassuringly at me. "Blaine told me everything, so don't worry. You've got another person siding with you."

He surprised me with the quickest of hugs, despite the fact that I barely knew him. Then the bell rang, and we parted ways.

First up I had Economics, then Biology with Jake. Thankfully he was the only glee member I was going to see this morning, so I wouldn't get an overwhelming amount of questions or sympathetic looks.

»«»«»

I avoided the glee club at lunch, instead sitting with Julia from Phys Ed and History. Her group of friends were kind to me, but I couldn't help but feel like an outsider. Every few seconds I glanced over at their table, only to receive blatant ignorance. I sighed, playing with the limp salad on my lunch tray and listening to Julie's conversation about our football team.

"That Ryder guy is so hot. Annabelle, I'm so jealous that you know him." I looked up at the sound of both Ryder and my name being said, and went pink as all the girls at the table stared at me.