Pure Serotonin

Alex sat in the car, twiddling his thumbs. He hated the silence but didn't know how to start a conversation.

   He glazed over at Wilbur, the brunette's expression was indistinguishable between pure serotonin and pure fear. Maybe it was both.

  "So, " Alex drug out the word, Wilbur glanced over for a second before smiling and quickly returning his eyes to the road, "Where are we going?"

  "You'll see!" Wilbur chirped out.

  "Oh? You're not gonna like... kidnap me or anything right?"

"Oh? OH! NO NO! IT'S NOT LIKE THAT I PROMISE I JUST WANTED-"

  Alex cut off Wilbur's panicked rant by bursting out in laughter.

  Wilbur chuckled nervously, not sure whether he was to laugh as well or stay silent.

  When Alex finally stopped laughing his ass off like it was the funniest damn thing he'd ever heard, he spoke, "You're fine I was just messing around." Alex still beamed.

  Wilbur chuckled slightly, he felt awkward. It's not that he didn't want to be there, quite the opposite actually. He liked this guy, a lot, and it had been hard for him to start dating again after... last time... so he really just didn't want to fuck this up. So far so good I guess.

  Wilbur perked up, his smile grew as he slowly eased his foot down onto the break, "We're here!" he exclaimed.

  Alex looked out the car window, only to be met with nothing but a plain old street. As he glazed around all he saw was a street lined with cars on one side and a tall apartment building ok the other.

  "You... brought me to a street?" Alex questioned, coming off more condescending than he had intended.

  Alex watched as Wilbur began to panic, as he had suddenly realized that this was a shitty idea, "n- no, well... yes... but just trust me okay!"

  Alex chuckled slightly, "Okay then, lead the way Romeo, " he said, giggling slightly at his own joke.

  Wilbur smiled brightly, he opened the car door and slipped out. Alex followed soon after.

  Alex glanced over the horizon. The sun had begun to slip away, painting the sky a beautiful mix of pinks and oranges. It was stunning.

  "Over here, " Wilbur called out.

  Alex diverted his attention away from the sky and back to his date and darted after.

  The two came upon the apartment building's fire escape. Alex gave Wilbur a questioning look, "What are we doing?"

  "You'll see, " Wilbur said, placing his foot on a loose brick on the building's walls. He crouched down slightly and then jumped.

  "What the hell!?" Alex yelled as he watched Wilbur grab onto the fire escape and pull himself up onto the metal stairs.

  "Take my hand!" Wilbur, who was now thoroughly excited, held his hand down for Alex to take.

  "A-are you sure we're not gonna get in trouble or anything, this seems very much illegal, do you even live here?!"

  "Just shut up and take my hand, " Wilbur smirked.

Reluctantly, Alex took Wilbur's hand.

  And with some effort, Wilbur pulled Alex up with him.

  "You're insane, " Alex mumbled with a smile. Wilbur simply laughed in response.

  The two trekked up the fire escape, Wilbur was the first to speak, "I hope you do know that I am taking you out to dinner after this, because this alone isn't much of a date, " he said, followed by a short snicker.

  They reached the roof of the building and Wilbur once again held out his hand for Alex to take.

  This time, without hesitation, he took Wilbur's hand.

  They walked over to the building's edge, and at that moment Alex realized why Wilbur had brought him here.

  The view, the goddamn view. Sure it was corny, but Wilbur was a hopeless romantic, he couldn't help it.

  Alex couldn't seem to take his eyes away, the sky was stained pink and orange. The city lights lit up the bustling streets, full of people going out to dinner or going to their night shift jobs.

  Alex's breath seemed to catch in his chest. He had never seen the city he had lived in his whole life in such a way. Everything looked so tiny, every person, living their own lives, equally as important, all so small from here.

  He felt almost... Powerful, in a way. Like some kind of God watching his creations instead of a college student who barely had his life together.

  He didn't want to move, he didn't want to blink, he didn't want to breathe, he just wanted to stay there. Silent and still. Terrified that if he so much and twitched the peace and beauty would simply shatter.

  He finally blinked, and nothing changed. It was all still beautiful. It was all still peaceful. It was all still perfect.

  "I'm sorry, I know this is really cheesy, I just thought maybe it'd be cool or-"

  "It's beautiful, " Alex spoke so quietly Wilbur couldn't even hear him.

  "Hm?"

  "It's beautiful, " Alex spoke slightly louder.

  Wilbur smiled, proud of himself for leaving his date so awestruck.

  "We can go whenever you'd like."

  "I- I think I'd like to just stay here with you for a while."
________

Word count- 866