CHAPTER XI (11)

CHAPTER XI
Solana

   I was grinning wide, all my happiness towards the kindle in my hand. Or new kindle, I should say. It was faster, smoother, and it had a dark mode. I could die right now and be satisfied.

   The book I was reading had the perfect balance of fluff and possessiveness, which I loved. Even though the male interest got on my nerves from time to time.

   I was still walking, my steps unconsciously taking me to the restaurant I worked at. I've been reading since I got on the bus, but I knew that I was minutes away from having to put my kindle away until I finished closing.

   Begrudgingly, I forced myself to stuff the kindle in my bag once I finished a chapter. I knew if I continued, I wouldn't stop. But just as I was zipping up the bag, I heard a car revving their engine behind me. I rolled my eyes and continued walking.

   Then, they honked twice.

   My expression darkened just as a voice shouted, "Hey! Cohen!"

   My feet faltered before I shot my gaze in the voices direction, only to feel my expression shift from anger to confusion. The man's voice came from a car, which was now slowing down next to me as their body leaned toward the open passenger window. That body belonging to Logan, Kane's best friend.

   I felt myself frowning before I twisted my body toward him, stopping my movements. I could tell that relieved him as he braked and turned on his hazard warning lights.

   Remembering that it was Saturday, I strolled to the passenger window and bent down to meet his gaze. "Don't you guys have a game today?"

   He tightly smiled, keeping a hand on the steering wheel while rubbing the other against his dark brown, crew cut. "Yeah. It's in two hours. But I wanted to talk to you."

   "Me?" My brows drew together. I've known Logan since Kane became friends with him senior year, and we barely exchanged a few sentences besides hello and goodbye. "What could you possibly want to say to me, Logan?"

   "Christian," he drawled with a duh tone while my heart jumped, hearing Kane's first name being spoken out loud for the first time in years. "When's the last time you talked to him?"

   I cocked my head in bewilderment. "This morning, I guess?"

   That was putting it lightly. Ever since last Saturday, when he visited me on my birthday, he's acted completely different. I woke up alone, with no text from him, and since then, we exchanged messages, but not enough to classify a full conversation. He's been avoiding me, but I barely had the time to confront him. I had another three midterms this week, my last one yesterday, so I only now have time to breathe.

   Logan's expression twisted in pain and discomfort. "Really?" He stressed. "He seems fine to you?"

   "No," I deadpanned. "Kane is hardly fine. But..." I hesitated for a moment, and Logan's eyes widened a fraction before he pushed himself closer to the open window.

   "What?"

   "I don't know. He's been different since last Saturday. I haven't had time to talk to him." Logan's arm started twisting, and I frowned. "Are you good?"

   A dry, humourless laugh left him. "No. Your boyfriend is making mine and the teams life hell. What did you do to him?"

   I gaped before I shot a harsh glare in his direction. "I didn't do anything, jackass. Maybe he's going through that time."