CHAPTER XX (20)

CHAPTER XX
Solana

   "My table is the biggest pain in the ass," Lori hissed as she slid behind the bar, next to me. "I swear to all things holy, I'm going to pull all my hair out by the end of this shift."

   I pouted before petting her light brown hair, which was currently pulled into a slicked back ponytail. "But it's so pretty. Think of the damage."

   "Being bald sounds pretty good right now," she huffed, crossing her arms. Her eyes glared daggers to the far-right corner of the diner, where a family of five sat. "How was I supposed to know they wanted spicy mayo? They never even asked for spicy mayo! Now they're asking to speak to Amanda for my poor service."

   With an encouraging smile, I jerked my hand in indifference. "Don't worry. Amanda will sweet talk them, offer free dessert and call it a night. She won't get mad."

   Lori nodded bitterly. "It's still annoying. Listen, I get kids are annoying and all, but don't take your frustrations out on someone who makes less than minimum wage."

   I tapped her arm reassuringly, but I smiled with promise. "You're almost done your shift. One more table and you're done. Take a deep breath."

   Together, we inhaled and held it for a few seconds before slowly releasing. By the end, she was smiling, some of her tension fading away as she watched me gratefully. "I love you. I can't imagine working here without you."

   "I get more annoying as time goes on," I drawled, and she snorted in agreement.

   In the corner of my eye, I saw one of the two tables looking around the restaurant, and I straightened my spine before strutting out from behind the bar. As I started nearing closer to their booth, I dragged out a breath. By the time the woman lifted her gaze and recognized me, a large grin was splitting my face.

   My customer service face hurt like a bitch after a few minutes.

   Luckily, they asked for the bill, so after using the iPad to find their tables order, I printed out the receipt and strode back to them. They paid cash and left me a decent tip, which relieved me. I only had a table left, so I asked Amanda if I could take a quick lunch break, since I'd been working for three hours. Because it was Wednesday, I had my two morning classes back to back, and once they finished, I got on a bus and came to work. It was nearing five now, and I haven't eaten since eight in the morning.

   Amanda gave me the all clear, so I asked the cook to make me a burger and washed my hands while I waited a few minutes. Even though Jon was in the kitchen, he made an effort to not even glance my way, but I made sure to give him the same energy. I kept my chin up and equally ignored him before grabbing my food and heading to the back of the restaurant, so I could slide into a booth where no one could see me.

   The second my ass hit the cushion, I felt myself unclenching with a soft exhale, finally somewhat relaxed in comparison to how the rest of my day had been. And when my eyes lowered to the rectangular plate in front of me, my mouth salivated with excitement. Jeremiah also gave me some fries, lord bless him.

   Guiltily having stuffed my kindle into my waist apron, I pulled it out and opened the cover before laying it flat on the table next to the plate. My hands were thrumming in eagerness, but just as the top of my fingers caressed the smooth surface of the bun, my phone vibrated from my apron pocket. My face fell, just as the restaurant's front door rang open.