Nighty night

I kinda realized that some of the chibi drawings of the states make them look like girls even when they ain't

To clear this up:

California- he/they
Alaska- he/him
Hawaii- she/her
Luisiana- he/they/it (people don't typically use 'it' for most of the states feel bad, as if it's making fun of him. He doesn't mind if people use it, but understands why they wouldn't)
Nevada- she/her
RI- he/him
Kansas- he/him
Colorado- he/him
Florida- other than 'it', they don't really care (since he can't really communicate that he doesn't care, most states just stick to 'him'. Florida takes being called 'it' as an insult about the fact that he is part animal and therefore a lesser-being)
Delaware- he/they
Georgia- she/her
Michigan- he/him
Minnesota- she/her and ours/we/us (plural pronouns, because duplication :D)
New Mexico- he/him
Illinois- he/him
North Carolina- he/they
South Carolina- he/him
Carolina- ours/we/us (plural pronouns again because fusion :D)
Alabama- he/him
New York- he/him
Ohio- he/him
Massachusetts- he/him
Mississippi- they/them
Iowa- he/him
Maine- she/her
New Jersey- he/they/it (only likes to be called 'it' when he's shapeshifted into an object)
Maryland- she/her
Arkansas- he/him
Pennsylvania- she/her
Idaho- he/him
Indiana- he/him
Arizona- he/him
Utah- he/him
Wisconsin- he/him
Oregon- he/they
Washington- he/him
Connecticut- he/him
West Virginia- he/him
Virginia- she/her
Vermont- he/him
New Hampshire- he/him
North Dakota- he/him/we (because his telepathy with his brother)
South Dakota- he/him/we
Tennessee- he/him
Missouri- he/him
Montana- she/her
Nebraska- he/him
Oklahoma- he/him
Kentucky- he/him
Wyoming- he/him

The next day, Alabama is staring at the wall in shock.

"Guys, New York is walking towards us," Alabama said.

"Uh oh, I think he wants to talk to you, Tex," Georgia said. I sigh.

"Ok...,"

I open the door for Nueva, who silently walks in the room. The other states go to a separate room, but I can tell Alabama will be spying in and telling the others if a fight breaks out. We sit down at the breakfast table, and Nueva sighs.

"Just... tell me the truth... what were you and Cali doing yesterday?" Nueva asked.

"I'm being genuine and 100% honest when I say we weren't doing anything with romantic or sexual intent, however if this is you asking if you still have a chance with him, give it a rest buddy," I say. Nueva sighs.

"I just... I wish I could've been better...," Nueva said.

"I think you might've been trying too hard to be better actually... look, Cali needs some time... will he go back to you? I can't say... but I don't think begging him to come back will do ya any good," I say. Nueva sighed and nodded.

"Ok... sorry... I'll... I'll go now...," Nueva said. I nod awkwardly, and he gets up to leave, but suddenly his knees buckle and he collapsed to the floor.

"New York! Are you ok?" I exclaimed.

"I-I... I feel weak...," New York said softly. I try to help him up, but he can barely stand.

"We need to get you to Wisconsin," I say, picking him up. Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky rushed into the room.

"What happened?!" Tennessee exclaimed.

"He just fell over... c'mon, let's go get Wisconsin," I say. We try to open the door, but realized it's still locked. New York shakily reaches in his pocket and hands Kentucky the key.

"M-my arms... all my limbs are so heavy...," New York slurred. He's sounding weaker by the second, and I realize his eyes are starting to shut.

"New York, keep your eyes open ok? Just look at me ok? Don't leave us," I say. We run to Wisconsin's room, but just by our luck, he's not there.

"Dammit! Look for him! I'll set Nueva down in the infirmary!" I exclaim. Kentucky, Alabama, and Tennessee run off, and I go into Wisconsin's room and lie New York down on the patient bed. I hold his hand tightly.

"Nueva, how are you feelin?" I ask. New York takes a deep breath.

"I...I.... I can't...," he says sluggishly. Tears fall from his eyes. "I can't stay awake much longer... I.... am I dying...?" New York said.

"No... nonononono.... you'll be ok... you have to be ok...," I say. New York breathing starts to slow.

"I'm sorry Texas... I'm.... a bad person aren't I...?" New York slurred.

"Of course not! Look, nobody is perfect, ok? I'm not mad at you for anything, you're just annoying and b*tchy sometimes," I say. Nueva chuckles, and tries to keep his breathing fast. But it slows. Since New York has unlimited energy, his heartbeat is usually very fast, but as I grasp his wrist, I feel it slow by the second.

Suddenly, Wisconsin and California burst into the room, followed by Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

"What happened?! Yorkie are you dying?!" California exclaimed. New York didn't respond. Wisconsin quickly summoned some cheese. I tried force feeding it to Nueva, but he barely had the energy to chew. His eyelids started steadily shutting.

"New York! Stay with me! You can't f*cking die!" California cried.

"...I thought you were 'so f*cking done' with me?" New York whispered. California teared up.

"Yeah... but... You're my bestie! My Broadway bae!!! Who else will I watch musicals with at midnight while eating junk food?!! Texas would SO fall asleep before the final song!! But... you'd always stay up! J-just because I don't wanna date you doesn't mean I don't care about you... please... stay awake...," California pleaded. New York smiled sadly.

"I'm sorry...," he said, before he closed his eyes... and his breathing slowed.

"NO YOU B*TCH YOU CANT F*CKING LEAVE ME LIKE THIS WAKE UP WAKE UP!!!" California cried. I held him close as he sobbed in my arms. But suddenly...

"Wait! He's still breathing!" Wisconsin exclaimed.

"Really?!" California exclaimed, placing his hand on New York's chest. "He is!! His hearts still beating!!! He just went to sleep? Phew...," California said, but suddenly it dawned on us...

"NEW YORK WENT TO SLEEP?!?!??!"