Tiger Lily 👆

I had woken up early then most days. I was going berry picking with Moon and for her the day started early before her children awoke. She had told me it was easier to do things while they rested. I sat up and saw on my pillow a beautiful necklace.

 I sat up and saw on my pillow a beautiful necklace

I smiled picking it up. It was beautiful. I tied it around my neck touching the beads one by one. I was going to have to tell Little Creek how thankful I was for his beautiful gift.

I sat at a bush full of berries picking them one by one talking about the village with Moon. "Do you like living in the village?" She asked. "Yes, I do. It's become home now." I think of this past month compared to my entire life and I know I'm happier here then back there. "How long have you and your husband been married?" I asked next. " 2 years. And we don't call it a marriage. To us we are bonded. That person is now our other half. We need each other to live" I grin. "That's so romantic." We both giggle together. I place new berries in the basket next me. Another Lakota girl walks by us kicking my basket over while walking past. I look at her glaring. Rude. Moon looks at her speaking to her in their Native language. It sounds almost like they were insulting each other. The girl then turns to me she looks me up and down and then spits on me.

I stand tall now wiping her spit off my face. "Excuse me!" I growl at her. "You are a disgrace! How dare you try to take my husband!" She was crazy! I had no idea who she was talking about since I only talked to one native man which was Little Creek. "Tiger Lily! This is between your father and Little Creek. Do not bring her into this!" I frowned. "What are you talking about Moon? Is Little Creek promised to another?" I felt my heart almost tear into two halves. He wouldn't lie to me......Right?

The native girl, Moon called her Tiger Lily looked at me with such fire in her eyes. "Yes Pale-Face! We have been promised to each other for five winters! Then you come along, and he hasn't spent a night with me! As the chief's daughter he will become our next leader. " She came closer to me. 

For the first time ever, I took a step back in fear.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know! Honestly!" She looked at my neck her eyes not showing anger but pain? 

"Where... Where did you get that?" Her words broke. "Little Creek." I whispered touching it. She put her hand on it feeling the beads before ripping it off. "Mine!" She growled turning away from me. "Tiger Lily!" Moon called after her. Tears formed in my eyes. I looked at Moon embarrassed. "Ella-" I backed away choking on my sob. "Sorry Moon, I just need...I just need....to be alone right now." I turned and ran the other way.

 I went to Spirits pen taking him out. "Take me somewhere other than here. "I begged him tears falling onto his coat.

He rode far until I was far away from the village and didn't see it anymore. he took me to a nice pond surrounded by trees and flowers. I sat in the grass, leaned against Spirit. I cuddled with him petting his head slowly.

I brought my knees to my chest crying for what felt like forever.  My heart hurt so bad. It felt like my heart had been stepped on over and over. I couldn't get over that he never told me he was engaged to another...I looked so stupid. And Everyone knew but me?