A New Cell

We arrived at the new Fort within three days.  It was much bigger than our last place. It had more soldiers too. 

They lead me straight into the medical room. 

I saw soldiers laying down in each bed with either a missing limb or broken bone. I even saw the one I stabbed in the arm. 

They toss me into a private room, a nurse rushes inside greeting me.

 "We'll be just outside, so don't even try to run." One of the soldier's smirks at me before leaving.

 "Poor dear, you must be shaken from your kidnapping." I frown at the nurse. "Kidnapping? Is that the lies his been spreading?" I chuckle at her. My father was too proud to let the truth be known.  "I wasn't kidnapped, I left my father's home. He was abusive and controlling. Not like you ladies could understand that. "

It was drilled into a women's head that a man was always right since birth.  Even if he hit you or cheated on you, we were taught to stay with them an try harder. " Dear, we've seen more than you think." She whispered taking my temperature. I felt bad after that. I was being rude and acting out of my character all because of my father. "I'm sorry, I'm just a little angry right now. I should be home with my husband but here I am again." I sighed.

 She smiled at me, and she started to examine my body.  "I understand dear, I was once your age too. " 

"Stand up for me." She whispered wrapping a measuring tape around my waist. She then checked my mouth and feet and my lady parts. "Everything looks good my dear. Get dressed and I'll walk you to your room." I smiled at her nodding my head. 

When she took me to my room, she was kind to me. Talking to me, asking about my life, and even giving me food and blankets. She sat with me on my bed telling me about herself. I could tell she was trying to earn my trust. "My name is Annie. I came here a month ago from the south hoping to help the soldiers." She smiled pulling out a picture from her pocket. "These are my sons and husband. I lost my husband and one of my sons in the war. I believe you know my oldest." When I looked at the picture, I couldn't believe it. "Nathan!" 

She grinned at me. "Do you understand why I'm here now?" I nodded my head. Somehow, Nathen knew I would be caught again, and would need help. So, he sent me his mother to help me. "Where is he now?" i asked. "After your father learned of him helping you, he sent him home with whips to his back. So many I lost count! " I frowned angry again. Nathen was punished because of me. "I cleaned him up and he told me about you that night. How he asked for your hand, and your father refused him and how you stood up for him..." She smiled at me.

 So that was the solider who asked for my hand, I try to think back to my father's words.

"One of my men asked me last night. I told him no. A soldier wife is not for you."

So, it was Nathan. I never knew he loved me. "Nathen went back to the army with a different camp. He became a Captain and decided to try and find you. And instead learned from another solider about your fathers' plans. He planned to invade every native village until he found you. My job was to wait until he found you and then alert Nathan. He plans on coming here to help you escape." 

Escape. 

It was the first thing on my mind since I first laid eyes on the place. But the thought of them risking everything for me didn't feel right. If they were caught, they would lose so much or even their own life. 

My father was a man of lies and had his own laws.

"I couldn't let you guys do that. If you were caught-" "I have nothing left to lose Dear. I'm seventy years old. And Nathan is higher up then he was last time, to harm him would be a challenged. " Her little hands gripped mine. They were ice cold but felt nice to the touch.

 "Let us help you."  I smiled at her. I couldn't believe this lady was willing to risk everything just for me. "Okay, I'll let you help me, but you have to promise not to do anything to risk your life."  She smiled widely kissing my cheek. "I'll send a letter to Nathan right away. Get a good night sleep." She left my room quickly after that.

I started to look around my room touching the cold walls. They were made of bricks with no color to them. All that was in the room was a bed and a desk. The window even had bars on them. I felt like a prisoner.

 I looked out the window and saw the full moon. My heart ached thinking about Little Creek.  I could picture him holding me in our tent listening to the fire crackle.

 I would do anything to be there right now.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week later

I woke up the next morning to loud knocking. I felt sick to my stomach and had a headache. I sat up trying to adjust my eyes to the sunlight.  "Come in!" I groaned wrapping myself with a blanket.  "Sorry to wake you Ma'am, I'm here to walk you to the dining hall." Dining hall? "But I'm not even dressed?" I frowned yawning.  "It will be just you and your father Ma'am." My father? Was he finally back?  I stood up walking with him. I had a million thoughts running through my head. What would he say? Would he hit me again? Try to still marry me off to that horrible man?

This would be my first time seeing the dining hall, I usually just had food brought to my room. When I walked in, I noticed my father first. He sat all the way at the end of the long table. One chair on the other side of the table. Just for me. I went to the chair sitting down. A cup of coffee in front of me and a slice of pound. I took a small bite. 

The silence between us was killing me. 

"Do you know how long I have been looking for you?" He finally speaks. I finish chewing another piece before speaking. I left about six months ago so if I'm correct...." Six months?" I answer back. He glares at me. "Don't get smart with me girl. I spent all my resources trying to find you and when I do Your cuddled up with those darn Dirt-Worshipper's!" He slammed his newspaper on the table making me jump. "Don't call them that! And I was okay anyways, you didn't have to come find me!" I had to hold my lip. Getting upset wasn't going to help me.

It went silent again. "I'm not trying to argue with you. I just want to know what happened while you were gone." I smiled to myself. I would do anything to wipe that look off his face. "Well i do have a-" " Breakfast is served!''  I was cut off by the helpers. 

They brought our food to us setting them in front of us. It was bacon and toast with a side of.... eggs.

All of a sudden, I felt sick to my stomach. I pushed the plate away swallowing the vile in the back of my throat. "Excuse me." I frowned covering my mouth. I ran out the room not missing a step heading to the bathroom. I fell to my knees throwing everything in my stomach.